Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Floating plants...

Started by dsvs, May 10, 2005, 12:34:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsvs

I'm looking at putting a couple of large floating plants in my tank to take care of the nitrates. Any suggestions? They'll be right under the bub, so I don't think lighting is much of a concern. I've had my luck with duckweed, bad mess... I need something larger like a lilly pad or something... any suggestions?

-Don

Iceman

I've got pennywort. Grows like weeds. Have to pull about half of it out every two, three weeks.

dannypd

I'd keep with the duckweed, that's the best one to remove nitrates and easiest to clean up.

unlike a lily, it multiplies faster and consumes much more nitrates given the time/space perspective....and it's cheaper!

gvv

The only one problem with duckweed is how to get rid of it :evil: ...

Sailfin

Quote from: "gvv"The only one problem with duckweed is how to get rid of it :evil: ...

Post it.   :lol:    I'll take a teaspoon of it!  Stuff grows like crazy in my tanks.

Evan

I have been using hornwort recently.  It grows fast and I like the way it looks. It is also easy to remove.

dannypd

Quote from: "Sailfin"
Quote from: "gvv"The only one problem with duckweed is how to get rid of it :evil: ...

Post it.   :lol:    I'll take a teaspoon of it!  Stuff grows like crazy in my tanks.

Contradictive...I'm confused..

How to get rid of it?  Use a fish net....

Think of it as removing nitrates each scoop-ful.

Julie

What I do for nitrates besides w/c is I grow a philodendron(devils ivy) in my aquaclear.  The roots absorb nitrates.

Julie

Iceman

Quote from: "Julie"What I do for nitrates besides w/c is I grow a philodendron(devils ivy) in my aquaclear.  The roots absorb nitrates.

Julie

I've done that as well. Had the roots all the way along the back. Interesting look as well as hiding some of the equipment.

StylinT

How does every one have such good luck with the stuff an i every time ive tried it it always dieslol or gets munched on by my oscars

dannypd

Quote from: "Julie"What I do for nitrates besides w/c is I grow a philodendron(devils ivy) in my aquaclear.  The roots absorb nitrates.

Julie

oh neat!!  I'd love to get some!!  I heard rumours they grow in brackish water...

Mettle

How does one grow plants in an AC? Sounds interesting, nevertheless.

dannypd

Quote from: "Mettle"How does one grow plants in an AC? Sounds interesting, nevertheless.

Nice big air vents, filter pad to keep the roots steady, tight space.

Heck, enough rooting, this could serve as a filter medium...

Iceman

Here is a pic of pennywort. This is my first attempt at a pic so I hope it works. I've got some to give away dsvs if your interested.