Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

wavemakers and powerheads

Started by salvini55, March 03, 2009, 03:08:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

salvini55

Are Korilias and Maxi jets suitible for use with a wave maker? Which one is better.

Thanks for your opinions
Kev

nissannx

im using both over a year now. no issues

xenon

If you goal is to generate an actual wave like a wavebox then no.

What size tank do you have and what are you trying to accomplish?

redbelly

Koralia are generally not considered to be good to use on a wave maker.
MJ's work very well though and there are TONS of cool mods to make them work even better.
My wave maker I am assuming of course that you mean a power bar that turn them from full on the full off.

Koralia does have the controllable pumps but they must be run on the koralia controller as they are variable AC input.

salvini55

Quote from: xenon on March 03, 2009, 04:28:29 PM
If you goal is to generate an actual wave like a wavebox then no.

What size tank do you have and what are you trying to accomplish?

I dont have a goal as of yet, i dont even have a sw tank. Im thinking about buying the 75 gallon from saltynewb and a coralife super skimmer 125. I have a 33 gallon sump. I was just wondering about current flow, a controller would be nice but too much $$$$.

Quote from: redbelly on March 03, 2009, 04:50:18 PM
My wave maker I am assuming of course that you mean a power bar that turn them from full on the full off.

Koralia does have the controllable pumps but they must be run on the koralia controller as they are variable AC input.

Yes i am talking about the power bar. I read the other day that on and off cycles can be harmful to the powerheads. I was thinking of using korilias but now it looks like ill use MJ's.

Hookup

There is a mod, really easy, you can do to your korillia pumps to help them with the on-off cycle noise.  I still do not advise it but I had done some research, mainly on this site and reefcentral, and the conclusions were mixed.  There are enough people using korillia's in this manor that made me think it was ok, but there are far more who use the MJ's, and the associated mods, it was hands-down the best option.

If you need to use korillia's, take some stiff air-line tubing and cut a piece about 1" long.. use the small diameter .25" stuff if you can find it... Then disassemble the korillia pump/impeller... put the tubing on the exposed shaft, not on the magnet end... then put the system back together... what you end up with is the tubing holds the blades back against the magnet/impeller/drive unit so it doesn't bounce and make all that noise that you get on powering it up... 

salvini55

ahh smart, and easy. Im going to look into these MJ mods though. any good links?  ;D

bitterman

Quote from: salvini55 on March 03, 2009, 07:05:39 PM
ahh smart, and easy. Im going to look into these MJ mods though. any good links?  ;D

Since these sureflow kits came out alot of the DIY and simpler DIY kits have dissapeared:

http://www.mops.ca/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/skus/PH/PHAF-SG1600.asp?L+scstore+hzsf2430ffeb80eb+1236371126

FocusFin

Here is the link to the mod I used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHal-NhrJWM&feature=related

The Maxijet impeller is designed to reverse direction each time the powerhead starts. By cutting off the nozzle it allows the flow of water to change direction each time the powerhead restarts. I had four Maxijets hooked up to a wavemaker and produced eight differrent flow patterns.

Also, by drilling holes into the impeller cover you can increase the flow rate substantially.

110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

salvini55

Quote from: FocusFin on March 07, 2009, 03:35:04 AM
The Maxijet impeller is designed to reverse direction each time the powerhead starts. By cutting off the nozzle it allows the flow of water to change direction each time the powerhead restarts. I had four Maxijets hooked up to a wavemaker and produced eight differrent flow patterns.

Good to know! I didnt understand if what your talking about was a mod at first but now i understand sorta'. even with the impeller reversing each time it cycles, would it not still flow in the same direction? (out the hole you cut?)
plz explain

Thanks for the links guys!

C-Dog

too me it sounds like that u start the pump and its pushing forward, then u turn it off and u start it again and the pump isn't pushing anymore its sucking in. like going reverse on a boat. and drilling wholes in the cover would be pretty kool too!

FocusFin

Quote from: salvini55 on March 07, 2009, 02:49:29 PM
Good to know! I didnt understand if what your talking about was a mod at first but now i understand sorta'. even with the impeller reversing each time it cycles, would it not still flow in the same direction? (out the hole you cut?)
plz explain

Thanks for the links guys!

When the nozzle is removed it creates a very wide path of water flow favouring either the right or left side depending on the direction of the impeller. When the impeller reverses the water flow changes direction.

Picture a clock with the nozzle pointing to 12:00, when the impeller is running clockwise the water flows between 12:00 and 3:00. When the impeller is running counterclockwise the water flows between 9:00 and 12:00.
110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

salvini55

ohhh ok i get it, i didnt think it would have a noticable affect. this is probably the way ill go. sure costs less than a sure flow ;)

archie

Quote from: Hookup on March 03, 2009, 05:31:20 PM

If you need to use korillia's, take some stiff air-line tubing and cut a piece about 1" long.. use the small diameter .25" stuff if you can find it... Then disassemble the korillia pump/impeller... put the tubing on the exposed shaft, not on the magnet end... then put the system back together... what you end up with is the tubing holds the blades back against the magnet/impeller/drive unit so it doesn't bounce and make all that noise that you get on powering it up... 

I tried something similar to my korillia, only problem is that it stops the impeller from coming up and hitting the 'break' that forces it to go in only one direction.  so just like a MJ on wave makers the startup direction is different each time.  however if it can't hit the break then it will simply go in whatever direction it starts in, which sometimes is backwards.

cancer40

hi,
if you need a skimmer i will have one for sale ,its a used one it works fine a Coralife Super Skimmer 230 if yrs interested pm me back

salvini55

wanna trade for my coralife ss 125?  :D