Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Dropsy !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by crazy 4 fish, March 14, 2009, 02:20:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy 4 fish

Help. I acquired a female betta from BA's 2 weeks ago. She wasn't doing well and brought her back yesterday ... she had dropsy. I had her in a guppy breeder tank in my big tank and since yesterday my 2 female guppies from that tank have developed dropsy. That tank also has zebra loaches, Amanos, 2 platys, and head and tail light tetras. Should I treat ??What would I be treating for ??? The 2nd guppy seems to have a bit of white fuzz on her tail where I think the platy nipped at her. So could be fungus but that's probably not what was killing the betta or killed the 1st guppy. BA's seemed to think the betta had internal parasites and I also found out that after I purchased mine some of the other females had to be put in quarantine.

I read that guppies and bettas were more prone to dropsy and that it was not really something that was often contagious. Has anyone had any experiences to the contrary ? The tank is always the same water-wise (nitrates, hardness, temp, etc) and the fish get Hikari micropellets, frozen bloodworms, and algae wafers. Everyone was absolutely fine before introducing the betta ... when am I going to learn to use a QT tank !!!!! This one would have been pretty easy to put elsewhere bc a betta :( I'm going to do my regular water change except probably 40-50%. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Cheryl

Laura

As far as I know, dropsy is a symptom of other problems and by the time a fish has pineconed, it's usually so far gone that it's hard to help it.

I would have recommended a big water change but you've already done that.  Sorry that I'm not more help - I would keep an eye on the parameters to make sure that it's not simply a water condition issue.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

crazy 4 fish

Thanks Laura. I euthanized the 2nd guppy from the big tank this evening. I had also put the female betta in my 5g .... hoping the change of environment would make her eat and it never crossed my mind that she was ill. It's supposed to be my QT tank but I have guppies in there waiting to go to a new home. I had to euthanize another female guppy from that tank who developed dropsy. So far no other fish than the guppies but in both tanks so 100% sure it's the female betta who brought in whatever caused the dropsy. Hard lesson for me to learn at the expense of my poor fish.

Pistol_pete

I found a few links that may be of intrest. It sounds like what you have must have been caused by a bacteria since it's spreading so fast. Parasites would probably take longer.

http://www.petfish.net/articles/Bettas/dropsy.php
http://www.fishdeals.com/fish_diseases/dropsy/
http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/information/Diseases.htm#Dropsy

Good luck

KLKelly

Dropsy is a symptom - not a disease itself as you already know.  It is secondary to the cause.  What worries me is multiple fish got sick so it could be anything.

If he's in a qt tank you should treat aggressively as 99% of dropsy cases are fatal.  I would treat with Maracyn Plus to give the guy a shot.  Chances are a betta wouldn't eat medicated food.  Salt will help with osmoregulation but I don't know if a betta can handle this.  I have a goldfish that repeatedly dropsies (long story).  I know the protocol that is working for him but I have no idea if it would work for a betta.  The GAB board does have a betta section. 

KLKelly

You have access to scopes though don't you?  You could do a poop scope and look for stuff like costia, flagellates and internal parasites.  It doesn't sound external.

crazy 4 fish

Quote from: KLKelly on March 15, 2009, 10:25:17 AM
Dropsy is a symptom - not a disease itself as you already know.  It is secondary to the cause.  What worries me is multiple fish got sick so it could be anything.

If he's in a qt tank you should treat aggressively as 99% of dropsy cases are fatal.  I would treat with Maracyn Plus to give the guy a shot.  Chances are a betta wouldn't eat medicated food.  Salt will help with osmoregulation but I don't know if a betta can handle this.  I have a goldfish that repeatedly dropsies (long story).  I know the protocol that is working for him but I have no idea if it would work for a betta.  The GAB board does have a betta section. 

I no longer have the betta. When I brought her back friday I just told them to euthanize her ... she was too far gone. It's my fish in both my tanks that are ill. It only seems to be the guppies affected. I think all the guppies in the 5g have it now. No one else in the 32 are showing any signs. All fish, even the guppies, are eating well. I could bring in poop to work tomorrow to check it out ... if I can find some. I know dropsy is mostly fatal so would I be best to euthanize the guppies and treat my 32 g ? Is Maracyn Plus ok for loaches and shrimp ? Do shrimp get dropsy ??

KLKelly

I would leave the 32 gallon alone and just make extra sure not to cross contaminate.  I just went to the dollar store and bought gloves so my hands don't come in contact with water.

Can guppies handle salt?  If they can you could bring the salt level up over 36 hours to 3 tsp/gallon (1tsp/gallon ever 12 hours).  This will help with parasites and is often used in place of harsh chemicals like quickcure.  And it will help them deal with dropsy.  And MaracynPlus on their tank.

I've had fish come back from dropsy.  Its just hard because you don't really know the cause of whats hit them so its a shot gun treatment.  Maybe salt would be enough.

crazy 4 fish

Quote from: KLKelly on March 15, 2009, 01:59:26 PM
I would leave the 32 gallon alone and just make extra sure not to cross contaminate.  I just went to the dollar store and bought gloves so my hands don't come in contact with water.

Can guppies handle salt?  If they can you could bring the salt level up over 36 hours to 3 tsp/gallon (1tsp/gallon ever 12 hours).  This will help with parasites and is often used in place of harsh chemicals like quickcure.  And it will help them deal with dropsy.  And MaracynPlus on their tank.

I've had fish come back from dropsy.  Its just hard because you don't really know the cause of whats hit them so its a shot gun treatment.  Maybe salt would be enough.

The betta was in both tanks so both are already contaminated. I found out today that I can't buy Maracyn Plus in Quebec so that's out ... any other suggestions ? BA's recommended a medicated food ... not sure which one. I'm doing another big water change tonight. I'm really thinking that the infection is bacterial. Pete's right. This happened way too fast for it to be parasites. I don't know if the guppies can handle salt but it's a make or break situation so whatever I can try to possibly pull them through I'll do. All the fish are still good this evening, eating and swimming normally. Thanks for all the encouragement :)

crazy 4 fish

Just thought I would mention that the guppies are doing fine with the salt. So far so good. I'm on day 3 so water change tonight. Glad I didn't send them to fishy heaven without a fight :)

The fish in the 32 are alright as well. They are all eating but I find them staying in the lower part of the tank more. I think that has more to do with my filter not working properly than them being ill. The water has kind of a whitish look to it. Can't wait to change that darned filter. Not sure what's wrong but it sounds horrible even after I clean it. It might also be the water conditioner I use. I find my water slimy after using it. I'm going to change to Prime this week and get a better test kit so I can know exactly what's going on with the water. I didn't add any salt in their tank but I'm going to do a water change today and see if it helps the little guys.