Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Moss Tree

Started by dan2x38, April 03, 2009, 05:54:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan2x38

Finally one of my new pieces of Manzanita Wood leached most of it's tannins. Soon as I saw the piece I knew what I was doing with it. Went to Rona got some unfinished marble tiles and a cobalt drill bit. Used some 3 in 1 oil and drilled a hole in the marble. Then using a hacksaw squared off the end of the driftwood to sit at the angle I wanted. Drilled a hole in the end of the wood and screwed it on to the marble with a stainless steel screw. Using fishing line I tied Christmas Moss on it to get a tree look.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

OttawaFolkFestivum

Nice work! Looks good!

Cheers, Steve

buzz

smalltownfan

Looks very nice. Looking at it I got the thought to try the same but use a weeping or willow moss to get a southern cypress look.
FW Nano's 5g & 15g
Inverts & Micro fish

charlie

Laura

It looks great!  I think it would look stunning in a smaller tank surrounded by a low growing plant.  It would really profile what a fantastic job you did!
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

jart

Good job. Will no doubt look fantastic once it grows out more. The whole tank has a very eerie look to it... for some reason it has a great sense of depth. I certainly like it.

The LFS here got some Singapore moss in, which I am unfamiliar with... perhaps I'll consider a similar project.

fischkopp

Looks good. Gotta love that wood! ;)

One suggestion: you can tie the moss closer to the wood (best is brown cotton string). This looks a bit weird in the beginning, but as soon as it grows in it will be much more dense and less loose on the branches, and eventually you will have a xmas tree in your aquarium.  :D
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

zima

Good job Dan!

Something else to note on the fish line vs. cotton thread - the latter is biodegradable, whereas the former isn't really. I like using cotton threads because they eventually degrade and disappear from the aquarium, just when the moss is well attached to the wood. The nylon fish thread, on the other hand, will be there forever.

rkmike

Great Idea Dan! Now if I can only get my Blood Red Parrot to stop eating all my plants I'll be set! He's grazed through most if the stuff I got from zima when I planted the tank! On the lookout for more... ;D

dan2x38

I've had a couple mishaving fish with my plants I gave them away and not the plants...  8)
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."