Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

How do I know when to service my filter?

Started by Pickoff, March 01, 2004, 09:43:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pickoff

I am a newbie to the aquarium hobby.  I recently purchased and stocked a 65 gallon tank with 16 African Cichlids.  How do I know when I should service my filter (2026 Eheim)?  I've had the tank running since the end of December.

328iGuy

Hey

I am also running an Eheim 2026 as well.  You should be changing the filter floss once a week if not once every 2 weeks.  As far as the media, the first service should be at the 6 month mark where you will simply rinse half of the media.  You don't want to clean it all at once as this holds most of you're bio matter for you're tank.

You can find many write ups on this and various definitions of a "good time" to service, however sometimes it can be personal opinion as well as being a general rule of thumb.

I strictly change my filter floss on a weekly basis without any issues as I find it gets quite a bit of build up if I leave it longer.  The odd time I will let it go for 2 weeks but notice quite a bit of flow difference.

Enjoy youre filter, its one of the best!

Evan

I also change my floss once a week sometimes two.  
(My tank is understocked)

I also like to keep the lines free of any buildup.  I have read letting to much stuff buildup can lead to disease problems.

I clean the inner blue  filter at least every three weeks.  I have  not had any interuptions in the cycle by doing this.

It is a great filter

Stevie

Thanks for the information!  I have the same filter, about 4 months old and have been wondering what to do with it other than the weekly floss changes.  Now I know!!

Pickoff

I just replaced my floss, I assume you are refering to the white sponge on the top layer and the carbon filter.  They were due considering I haven't changed them since the initial setup 8 weeks ago.  Good to hear the various responses. Thanks for the info.

328iGuy

8 weeks without changing the floss, it must have looked and smelt beautiful? :)

artw

fwiw I never replace anything in my filters...  I use and reuse and rinse the floss until there is nothing left of it...  I have emperor 400 cartridges that are going on 3 years...  LFS's hate me...    I have polishing floss on my Eheim 2226 and yes I know I should be cleaning it more often but lately it's been a bi-monthly event.