New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

My 48 Gallon Planted 'Tropica' Tank

Started by blizzack1, April 21, 2009, 08:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OttawaFolkFestivum

Hey, good thread guys. The possibility of over-fertilization is something I will be sure to keep in mind. That's my aquarium fact learned for today....now back to studying the chi-squared distribution...
Cheers, Steve

MalawiCich

blizzack1

Quote from: MalawiCich on August 12, 2009, 09:21:29 AM
I was wondering how your HC is doing?

Fantastic, but a bit of algea that I have to clean off... it was fine, until I went away for  vacation and the tank ran out of fertilizer.. I came back and the algea has become a bit of a nuisance ever since.  I have six amano shrimp, but they don't seem to help!

Moral of the story, prevention is the best cure!

MalawiCich

Cool! Has the HC covered the whole bottom of the tank though?

blizzack1

Quote from: MalawiCich on August 12, 2009, 03:46:30 PM
Cool! Has the HC covered the whole bottom of the tank though?

Sure has, take a look :D

I threw in some vals at the back and something that I had in my other tank on the right hand side to try and outcompete the hair algea (working).  They were supposed to be temporary until I figured out what else to add to the tank, but I'm kind of enjoying it.

The BBA is contained, and would be eradicated if I got some more excel... I picked up some stray snails when I bought the vals though and they are chomping like mad through some of the plants - thankfully they are fast growers.  I've caught three, and hope the assassin snail is pitching in.

Main problem right now is that the HC is starting to get so thick it is floating to the surface.. not sure how to go about trimming it... thoughts?