Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

sun coral bleaching

Started by 10gnano, August 03, 2009, 08:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

10gnano

Hi Guys
I bought a sun coral on the weekend and I have noticed parts of it going white, is it dying or bleaching? what do i do to fix this?? or will the colour come back? please any info/experience with these would be great

Rybren

When I first got mine, it had a few spots like that.  Those spots eventually died off.  However, once the coral started feeding, it really picked up - no more white tissue.  The key is feeding!
120G Reef

Vincenzo.

they are aggressive feeders like Rybren said. also placement i find helps too.

10gnano

I was told by my local shop to feed it this product called "Cyclop-eeze" its a powder but i am not sure how to feed it. when i put this stuff into water it is very hard to target cause it is very light. I turn my pumps off and everything. any tips would hlep

groupie02

some folks use a cut out from a pop bottle, place is over the coral, then use a turkey baster to shoot the food into the pop bottle. or, you can check out http://www.viddler.com/explore/YayHeaven/videos/16/

Vincenzo.

they start off as nocturnal feeders..but you can convert them to day feeders.. this takes time. they are shy eaters. you might have to try many diff kinds of food. feed them at night to start with. then find out what they like. then feed them during the day.

az

cyclopeze will help them open up but they need to eat mysis shrimp once or twice a wk.
they prefer low flow area which helps them grab on to food easy.
AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

10gnano

i am trying a mix of cyclopeeze with baby brine shrimp. i moved them under a rock so they are sheltered from the MH light  I havent noticed ant more bleaching