Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Clownfish Eggs

Started by gmack225, August 03, 2009, 08:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmack225

My clowns have laid eggs, an orange bubble of eggs at the base of the rose bubble tip that they stay in. I have been reading about it and it seems possible to raise them. Has anyone done  this?

What equipment?
what food for the fry?
How to catch the fry in a 200 gal tank before they are eaten? ;D

groupie02

it's possible to do but you'll need to read up on it.  Here's a good website with lots of info: http://www.breedclownfish.com/

Also, this http://www.amazon.com/Clownfishes-Joyce-D-Wilkerson/dp/1890087041, is most likely the best book around.

So far, my clownfish are only providing free food to others  :)   I'm slowly collecting what I need to get the cultures going.

Cheers

gvv

First of all you may even forget about collecting the fry if you don't have rotifers culture and you will need a lot of rotifers to be succesful. From my experience - fry don't even try to eat frozen prepare food and it pollutes the water in no time.

First several times write down how long does it take from the point of time when the eggs were laid and when the fry hatch. In my case it takes exactly 7 days. When you know when to expect fry to hatch you prepare the tank - 5G will be good with airstone (bubbles should be large, small bubbles will kill the fry and heater. Collecting is pretty easy and as soon as the lights go off you will need to check when they will start to swim. They are going to the surface and I usedjust small jar to collect them from the surface. Check how many you want to collect - they eat like pigs and as soon as you get out of rotifers all of them will die, so the number of fry you collect depends on how much food you have...

Also you may google for the syphon for shrimp/fish fry collection. In this case you will not need to wait in the dark when they will hatch :)

Good luck!

QueensU

Thats a good thread. One thing I would recommend is the hydro sponges. I use them for rearing medaka and zebrafish fry. Its the best way to filter the water without losing fry, and you only need an air pump to keep it going. 

gmack225

Thanks to all

I have began to make green water, when I get some ahead i will start the rotifers.
I will let you know how things go and post pics of my progress.

The eggs have now turned very dark in colour,this batch will have to feed the tank till I am ready for them . hopefully in a couple of weeks there will be more eggs.

gmack

gvv

When they will become silver - this is the feeding time :)