Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

crab

Started by 10gnano, August 21, 2009, 10:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

10gnano

so i bought a suncoral from rays last a couple o weeks ago and i read somewhere that somebody had great success feeding it by removing it and placing it in a bowl filled with water. well anyways i noticed a crevice in the rock that was opening and closing, ( i thought that cant be good) i got my industrial strenght tweezers out ( actually the ones my wife uses for her eyebrows, please dont tell her) and i went diggin, i got the little bastard and all i have to show for it is 2 claws and some meat, i still have that weird snake/worm to deal with

Vincenzo.

describe the pincers (are the spoon or pointed). color, size.

10gnano

one of the pair is pointed (triangual in shape ) and the other is the same shape but rounded. they are white with an orangy red on the tips. they are about 1cm in lenght after my wife gets back from the spears concert i will post a pic

Vincenzo.

look up: Xanthid crab
btw: not reef safe

check this out:
http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/reefs/guamimg/crustacea/xanthidae/index.html

Sharbuckle

i love non reef safe crabs, so awesome looking, if you get the thing out and alive ill take it... and if anybody else has a non reef safe crab sitting in a sump i will take it! let me know

10gnano

he is definately not alive. he is in five pieces in a cup sitting next to my computer. i think he grew to big for the hole he was in, but maybe just really good and getting in and out. this marine tank is starting to freak me out. the snake/eel/worm thing, this crab, and there are other little things that run around my tank that i dont know what they are, they look like miniature shrimp i think. and those little starfish with the long legs are taking over my tank. and this is only 15 gallons

Vincenzo.

^lmfao.
those mini shrimp = amphipod = good
mini star = good

for crab id  rule of thumb is..
pointy claws = bad
red eyes = nocturnal = bad

15g is room for lots of cool stuff. that'll keep you wondering for ever

10gnano

i just dont like snakes and this womy thing is creepy, he never leaves the hole he is in, just comes out( the farthest i have seen is 2.5 inches and he is kinda holographic cause his spots stay in the same spot as he moves, its friggin weird and fast very fast, if i take the flashlight out he is gon in an instant

Vincenzo.

almost all worms are beni. for your tank. if its out mostly at night i would not worry. it's cleaning decaying matter.

is the 'hole' it's in a buildup of grains of sand? is it in a hard tube? - none the less i think its safe.

10gnano

its in a hole in the live rock not a tube or anything but a crevice

bluepointer

Vince has it right, most of those things are great, nothing to be freaked out about. Bristleworms while creepy, are really beneficial and the starfish with the long legs are brittlestars, they also eat extra food waste/ detritus. The shrimp things are amphipods....these are all things you HOPE you get with live rock as they really help the tank....if you didn't want them, don't buy the live rock. Marine tanks are awesome as everytime you look there is something new and cool to find, so much better than a fish only tank IMO. Don't be disturbed, look up some of these on the net, once you learn what they are, I think you'll be much more keen on them.

I have several nanos...and there are HUNDREDS of cool things you can do with them ;)