Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

whats this coral?

Started by heater15, August 23, 2009, 07:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heater15

hey everybody im just looking to see if anyboby knows what this is i have about 30 of them growing on one rock?

[attachment deleted by admin]

barabe

I don't know what it is but I sure would like 2 or 3 !!!

Dave and Diane

Same here no idea yet.

But hey if you wish to sell 4 or 5 of them would gladly take them.

Tyler.L

Vincenzo.

JD

Hookup

30 of them?

The photo you posted is of a scolymia, I believe.  However in the trade you'll find them around 2" in diamater.  Obviously they start small and grow, so as hitchhikers you could have them as babies. I'm doubtful that 30 of them would appear on the same rock and all survive.

Blastomussa would look similar, but on a small scale.

Acanthastrea Echinata would also look similar, again on a smaller scale.

salvini55

perhaps they are small hairy shrooms? Assuming that photo is not yours..

heater15

no the picture isnt mine ive just been looking for days and finally came  across that pic and of course no name !!but its exactly what it looks like they are still pretty small and only appear on one rock and so far i counted 32 to be exact  wether or not they all make is another story ,the biggest one is about the size my thumb nail

Tyler.L

wow i didnt even read the 30 part lol thanks for slapping me on that one tim.

the next thing that it could possibly be is micromussa if its very small like size of a dime actually smaller than that. I will vote blastomussa merletti though but also dependant on the size of the head. Able to get a pic at all?

Hookup

yeah, i bet blasto or micro... If it is 32 scolymia and you're setup is paid for... good colored ones go for over $200 each... $6K is not bad for a $6/lb lr hitchhicker...

Tyler.L

just pray its a peice of rock from australia and you're good!

heater15