Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Just when you think you are happy with your tank...

Started by mikerobart, August 27, 2009, 10:06:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikerobart

Was going through some threads on RC last night and found a great thread stock full of gorgeous sps tanks. Just thought I would share... some beautiful pictures, some you have to wonder if they are cranking the saturation in photoshop but amazing nonetheless. So, on this note... I am thinking of dedicating one side of my 90g to more sps and am looking for some good frags to get things kicked off. Anyone order frag packs online ... any reccomendations ? Or am I better off looking for good stuff in ottawa at OI or MS or AV... A package deal 10 for 100 etc. would be pretty cool. Looking for good selection of some colourful stuff to start growing out.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1497916&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

This one makes me want to not slack at work...

mikerobart

So... what's my best bet for sps frag packs ? I guess everyone got to the pictures and was so blinded with the beauty of that tank they forgot my question!

Hookup

Srry man... I do not buy on-line.  No reason to... Between the stores we have in town you can get some amazing stuff.  Ottawa Inverts is the only place I know that sells true frags, but I've seen very reasonably priced corals at AquaValley and other shops if you want to spend a bit more.  And from what I've seen of the on-line places... the frags you get are small compared to what is to be had locally...

Most people also swap/sell frags in the classifieds... I do not, cause I am still in growing mode... maybe next year they will be big enuf to want to frag stuff... though unless there's a problem, I won't be fragg'n it...  :D ;D ;D

Tyler.L

if you want nice sps and high quality you'd be looking more towards about 5-100 if you're lucky lol

canada isnt the same as the u.s with frag packs and huge online retailers unfortunalty. If i was ever able to order and have things shipped to me from live aquaria's divers den i would be in some serious trouble.

anyways your best bet is to pick and choose the nicest sps pieces you can find here and take them and take it from there....sps dominant is so much nicer than a one sided tank imo. you can always fill the top of sps and lps and softies from mid-bottom of the tank....more of a natural looking scene but its up to you....

Hookup

Quote from: Tyler.L on August 28, 2009, 02:15:52 PM
canada isnt the same as the u.s with frag packs and huge online retailers unfortunalty. If i was ever able to order and have things shipped to me from live aquaria's divers den i would be in some serious trouble.

This is the truth...  The Credit Card police would have broken my door down by now...

Tyler.L

yeah i would be in some serious trouble i would be living in a cardboard box but, the bright side is it would be the best carboard box with the worlds greatest tank i can assure you that...

mikerobart

LOL. Alright so what I am hearing is stay local... it's not that I haven't seen good frags around just some of the online stuff was looking tempting and needed input.. I guess we don't have that option as much as I thought.

For now my tank is lps dominated with some sps... I do feel like there may be a transition eventually moving some lps down to the bottom and adding more and more sps but that will be dictated by budget and a few other factors.

I still do enjoy the movement you get from things like elegance, frogspawn, torch's etc that you don't have as much with the very tiny sps polyps, so I don't know if I would ever go pure sps but it remains to be seen... some of the colours are insane.

Tyler.L

as you mature in the reefing hobby....you will quickly realize that hammers and torches etc are baby corals, they are indeed nice, but you will quickly change your mind...i think so if you were bitten by that sps bug already it will just worsen and worsen

mikerobart

I am already worried  :D. Well at least I am trying to build my system such that I am capable of sustaining sps and will be ready should I choose to follow that path... or maybe choose is the wrong word.

Stussi613

at first glance the images don't look like they were edited in Photoshop, I pulled the exif data off the first one and the only signature is from Capture NX...if it was shot in RAW first and edited in NX then the details would normally be captured in the exif data (most people don't know how to get rid of this data which makes it easy to see what gear they used :D).  One reason they look so good might be that they are all at 300dpi, normally photos on the web are at 72dpi.  I could probably turn this one into a 24" print based on the resolution that it's sitting at, if I was so inclined.

In pictures edited in Photoshop there is normally a PS signature at the bottom where it says Capture NX and the details of the edits are shown under the Exif1 breakout.
I haz reef tanks.

Hookup

My tank has color like that.  You're welcome to come see in person... Ottawa Inverts has corals that also look like that... There's an ausi piece that's in there which has the richest purple iv'e see and crazy almost neon green polups all over it... but hey, don't take my word for it... go check it out...

Corals look like crap unless conditions are pretty darn good (SPS for sure)... 

Check this tank out (hehe... you're screwed if you click that link)

mikerobart

Ohhh I saw that purple colony last weekend. Safe to say it would not be one of the first in my tank  :o