Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Above tank fuge

Started by Rybren, September 15, 2009, 08:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rybren

Well, I'm about ready to set up an above tank fuge.  As you can see from the attached Sketchup pic, the fuge will be about 3 feet away from the DT in the unfinished portion of my basement.  There's actually a door between the DT and fuge area in the pic.  The water level in the fuge will be about 2" higher than the DT.  I'll use a MJ1200 in the DT to feed the skimmer in the fuge; the water will exit the overflow and gravity feed back to the DT; flow rate should be 150-200gph (the DT is 30G and the fuge is 20-25G). 

As you can see from the fuge pic, I'm only planning on 2 baffles as a bubble trap after the skimmer.  The overflow will be an upturned 3" to 1 1/2" ABS pipe adapter.  I'm not worried about noise from the overflow - my setup is already plenty noisy.

So....  Whaddya think?  Will it work?  What should I be concerned with?  And especially, where do you predict that Mr Murphy will rear his ugly head?

Jerry

[attachment deleted by admin]
120G Reef

Hookup

Other than the noise you already pointed out, it's a winner of a system!  No issues... just be sure that in a power-outtage the siphon is not created/maintained between the MJ in your DT and the elevated fuge. :)

Personally, I love the LOW FLOW design you have of 200ish GPH... I think your skimmer will love it too...

Tim

groupie02

when you build this (if not done already), make sure to remember that the water level will be the same in the two tanks, unless you change something in your design.

Looks good to me... but then again I've never used one of those.

Cheers

Rybren

Hmm,

Maybe I missed something, but I don't think that the water level will be the same in the two tanks. 

If I figured things out correctly, when power is on and the MJ is pumping, the water level will be even with the top of the overflow in the fuge (about 2" higher than the water level in the DT).  When the power goes off, the water level in the fuge will drop to just below the lip of the overflow; the return pipe will drain into the DT and the supply line to the skimmer will drain back to the DT.  It shouldn't siphon anything, because the water level in the skimmer will drop below the intake pipe. I figure that at most, 1 gallon or so will drain back to the DT (1" x 3 1/2' drain pipe and 5/8" x 5' feed pipe)  I haven't calculated the actual volume yet.  As long as keep the water level in the DT low enough to accept the draining water, it shouldn't flood (gawd, I hate using that word)

Anyone see any flaws in my logic?
120G Reef

redbelly

The only draw back to this design is that the water level in your main tank needs to be slightly lower (than say right to the top) in order to take into account the water level decrease in the fuge.

This means that you may see the water line in your main tank as opposed to having it hidden behind the black trim.

groupie02

When I was looking at your diagram, I had somehow seen the overflow as not being at the same level as your display tank and the baffle in your fuge... sorry.

You are correct that when the power goes out, the level in the sump will drain to the overflow level.  When the pump is running, the water will flow from your refugium to your tank.

Rybren

Guys,

Thanks for the critical eye and opinions.  I tried to plan it all out, but I find that it's always helpful to have a second (or 3rd or 4th or 5th.....) look at things.

I have everything in the basement, now all I need to do is find some time to put it all together. (Tim, I still haven't taken the fly rod out once yet  :'()
120G Reef

mdugly

Might be hard to keep bubbles out of the DT.
Air will mix with the falling water...

salvini55

Quote from: Rybren on September 15, 2009, 11:01:58 PM
(Tim, I still haven't taken the fly rod out once yet  :'()

Dont worry your not missing much... i havent caught ONE pike at all this year!!! only bass, whats up with that. Usually i get frustrated when i catch pike all the time... Maybe this year is the year i catch the record breaking musky.... lol  ::)

Rybren

Yeah, I might get some bubbles in the DT, but I was hoping that the low flow and short drop would minimize them.  On the other hand, my skimmer aleady dumps bubbles into the DT, so no change  ;D

Pike or muskie on a fly rod would be awesome.  Salmon season is just getting underway.  Even with my 10wt rod, they're a battle and a half.
120G Reef

Hookup

I have to admit i've not been out much, though I have wet line...

This weekend will involve fishing... BTW, Boppy2 is also a fly fisher who could use some where to go advise... if you guys get out, contact him.. i've been trying, but my plans always fall appart.

Tim