Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

First Time saltwwater Aqurium

Started by cocagirl, September 03, 2009, 05:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

salvini55

Tell us about your parents set-up... please  8)

az

I had great success keeping 4-5 smaller fish & 9-10 corals in a 15gal reef with hob filter and 2x36w pc lights, so if you want to smart small and simple that option is still there, good luck.
AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

cocagirl

For Salvaini55 my parents new build can be seen under saltwater disscussion as new starphyre  tank build. i know my parents know a good amount about saltwater, but I was told by them if i want a tank of my own i have research and when I know exactly what i want they will help me.

SeahorseGuyetGal

Quote from: cocagirl on September 03, 2009, 05:54:24 PM
Start my first tank, need to learn everything I can, would love some advise as to what i should start with. Any feed back to help me start would be great... Oh and I am only 14 so keep in mind that I do not have millions of dollars so i need to keep this average, but do have a great interest in saltwater..

Hey coca girl.  I started my aqua hobby at about your age.  I agree with the guys out there in that you need to commit time and effort to the hobby and not to be disappointed when you do your best and still have some losses in your tank. 

I just purchased the Solana with matching stand and the Nova Extreme Pro lighting system from Fishtail Aquariums.  When  researching I agonized over the Solana, Red Sea Max 130D and a do-it-yourself (DYI) start-up. Aquavalley has a decent deal going on the Red Sea.  I know that JBJ, Current USA's Aquapod and Oceanic have all had decent reviews and some not so good.  The Red Sea Max has one limitation (which is not necessarily negative) in that the lighting cannot be switched about or controled independently.  That is, you cannot only switch on the actinic light that makes your corals literally glow.

If you are not worried about the look of things - go for the DIY because you can upgrade equipment more easily.  Otherwise, go with the local fish store (LFS) that will take time to explain the pro's and con's of the tanks they sell given what you want. 

In terms of the size of the tank, that is debatable in that it really depends what you want to keep in it.  For example, I have a 12 gallon JBJ with seahorses in it.  I have to be REALLY WATCHFULL of my water quality and find myself devoting at least 6 hours a week to fussing about the tank, doing water changes and testing the chemistry (which I would recommend you read-up on the Net or with an intro book first).

The total weight of the tank might also be a concern and limit you to the size.  For example, a 34 gallon tank can weigh in at around 400 lbs.  That is why I felt the need to reinforce the Solana stand (my personal concern - see the thread here in OVAS).  Having done so, I felt reassured and do have to say that the tank IS splendid.  Then again, so is the Red Sea Max.
I would not recommend a starfish or tang.  Stick with smaller fish in a tank of less than 34 gallons.  Make sure the corals to fish/corals to corals  are compatible and they have the right lighting/food.

Flatworms and other hitchhikers you will encounter on the liverock you purchase can be a nuisance but sometimes good for the tank.  I have a flatworm outbreak in my seahorse tank and have decided to go the natural route and purchase what is called a black-velvet nudibranch that solely eats the flatworms.  I have to be really careful because it can be very toxic to the tank if it dies and nuke all that is in it (b/c it is a small tank).  Other good hitchhikers include copepods, serpent starfish, bristle worms, snails etc...

Good luck and have fun.

cocagirl

thanks i love that people my age are starting tanks.It is great to know all the stuff i can. I wanted to know what a DIY is? ;D

mikerobart

Vincenzo.

cocagirl

my budget will be based on how much i learn and can present to my parents. They have not given me a set amount.

Hookup

So what are you're questions then?

What are you interested in?

This is now somewhat of a game... the more we can cram into your head, the higher your budget... so there's a direct reward system here and I like instant gratification... LOL...

bongo

Here's three advices from one that just started in the hobby

1- take it slowly, don't rush in

2- buy the better brand of equipment first

2- get a quarantine tank and use it