Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Live rock with black area??

Started by sdivell, September 26, 2009, 08:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdivell

I noticed tonight that I have a piece of live rock with a black area on it.  the back comes off on my finger if i touch it. 

Is this rotting?  should I pull it out of my tank?  I've got it in a section of my sump by itself right now.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Vincenzo.

from what i understand, it's from excess nutrients in your tank. another reason is natural light shining onto your tank. or could be a type of cyano. or could be a sponge.

JD

I don't know what it is. If it were mine I would pull the rock scrub it off in old tank water, rinse the crap out of it then put it back in the tank with that side exposed to the lights, presuming that side was down. Anything black like that makes me shiver...

Hookup

JD

I though a sponge covering that large of an area would be difficult to remove?

Quote from: Hookup on September 27, 2009, 11:58:47 AM
probably just a sponge

Hookup

Quote from: JD on September 27, 2009, 02:23:38 PM
I though a sponge covering that large of an area would be difficult to remove?

I've had some "stuff" that I'm calling sponge that has that kind of consistency.. but it could be anything... in fact, i'm looking at some of it right now in my tank.  Last time Pat was over, he also thought it was a sponge...  but i do not think anyone's willing to put money on the id.. :0

Tyler.L

i have some too i dont know what it is but i honestly think its just the rock thats got a black spot on it....leave it

az

black sponge, probably dead by now.
AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca