Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

What is the best brand of sea salt that produces less nitrates? What do you use?

Started by pinoy, October 15, 2009, 12:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinoy

The nitrates in my aquarium are way off-chart eventhough Ive been doing water changes (every 2 weeks), have a strong skimmer, use RO/DI, and feed my corals once a week. Got inverts to consume excess fishfoods. and finally, i dont have a sump.

I was told that some sea salts (like instant ocean) gives additional nitrates to your system during water changes. What do you guys use?

Also, weekly water changes unstabilizes the salinity of the water right? How do you avoid that?

mikerobart

See Table #1:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-03/rhf/index.php

It shows that  of the TOTM's identifying salt mix over the last 5 years, Instant Ocean was most frequent. It happens to be what I'm using because Ray had a mad deal on a big box  ;D.

"I propose that the exact numbers and ranking are not too important, as they reflect aquarists' choices, costs, and perhaps general availability, as opposed to the "betterness" of salt mixes.  However, any mix used in any Tank of the Month shows that it can facilitate a wonderful aquarium.  Further, picking one of the more commonly encountered mixes in Table 1 may be prudent, because more than one aquarist has shown that a beautiful and successful aquarium can be attained using one of them.  So, my suggestion is to pick one of the top half dozen mixes above, and then don't spend any more time worrying about whether your mix is the "best" one or not.  I have used Instant Ocean for more than 10 years, largely because it has had a long and wide track record of success."

mikerobart

Weekly water changes, if you match the salinity should not change the salinity whatsoever. It may change the Ca, Alk, Mg, and of course replenish trace elements... but generally not an issue. If its a big water change or you really want to have super stability you can forther adjust Ca, Alk, Mg with additives before  you add the top off but I have found most salts seem to have Ca pretty much as high as you would want it anyways.

If your using RO/DI and your tds is good, and good wc's and good skimming then you have to look elsewhere. Plenty of LR ? Sandbed ? Perhaps it's an issue with overfeeding fish.

Running carbon may help. Water changes should be keeping it in check to a certain degree. % water change = % nitrate reduction = % phosphate reduction (Assuming 0 no3 and po4 in the salt / ro/di).

Edit: Forgot to ask.. what is "off the chart " mean in ppm for your test kit.

az

if your nitrate is off the chart just water change every wk will not fix this, you will have to do 30% water change everyday to bring it down first, then do water change every wk/month to keep it there.
AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

reefdava16

What do you have for flow? Any dead spots with detrius building up? Live rock? There are many factors that could be causing this, not just the salt.

mikerobart

Let's say your nitrate is 100 ppm, 30% wc's will do this:

#1. 70 ppm
#2. 49 ppm
#3. 34.3 ppm
#4. 24.0 ppm
#5. 16.8 ppm

So as you can see.. even with big wc's you've got your work cut out for you!

pinoy

Thanks everyone for their inputs. Really appreciate it  ;D

Heres the thing, Ive been using the API nitrate test kit and having this high nitrate results. (A forum sponsor) tested my water yesterday and they said my nitrate is fine. Another person will be testing my water today and well see about the results.

So far, my snails , hermit crabs, 2 hitch-hiker pistol shrimps and cleaner shrimp are doing fine.

I did some test yesterday and heres what Ive found so far...

Using an API nitrite nitrate test kit , location: Kanata South Area

RO/DI water   nitrite:0 / nitrate:0

Tap water      nitrite:close to 0 /  nitrate:close to zero

waste water coming from RO/DI  nitrite:close to 0 /  nitrate:close to 0

My Reef tank nitrite:close to 0 / nitrate: above 30

Well , i did a 30% water change last night, and will be doing again today.  :( I hate wasting RO/DI waste water...I use to water my plants with these...but now...

Thanks again, for the inputs

OttawaReefer

Do you have anything that's died and gone into the cracks of the live rock?  How much skimmate is the skimmer pulling out? 

I had to adjust mine and now whenever my wife goes in front of the tank she asks "What's making that smell?", then she takes away the small handtowels thinking that I've been using them too long.....sorry Honey....it's the skimmer  :)

[EDIT] Sorry, forgot to add that I am using Instant Ocean Reef Crystals [/EDIT]

salvini55

Tropic marine pro reef salt is the best cuz I use it! how can you argue that?

Tyler.L

well boys and girls i think im gonna try the zeovit salt....seems to be pretty bang on gonna give it a try at some point....

as for nitrates...how much are you feeding? over feeding can always be a nitrate factory regardless of what amount of inverts you have etc. Small amounts of water changes more frequently like 10%, 3-4 times a week is better than one large one for nitrates...

trying different salts is always good till you find something awsome but im on instant ocean cause its cheap...somedays i think hmm if i dont feed my daughter i could buy some frags and some salt today... if i dont feed her for a week, damn i can get a new tank......evil mind i have muahaha