Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

tiny nocturnal anmone?

Started by OttawaReefer, October 24, 2009, 08:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OttawaReefer

Well, now three, to be exact. 

I picked up a small rock with some greenish mushrooms on it and I noticed that there was what looked to be a small anemone on it.  Closer inspection showed that there were three.  I waited until morning, when there was better light, but then saw nothing at all.  I thought they had just disappeared.  That night I noticed them back.

The head of the largest is small.  A bit smaller than the eraser of a pencil.  They are clear with what looks like either a grey/brown strip across the face of it, or that because it's so small that the face is a full grey/brown but the mouth is white/transparent.

Again, these things are tiny and when the actinics kick on in the morning they retreat almost flush with the rock, and when the rest of the lights are on they pull so deep in the rock that you can't really see them.

I thought that they may have been aiptasia but I've never read anything about aiptasia being nocturnal and when they extend from the rock they don't look like the regular profile for aiptasia.

Until I can figure out how to get a picture of these I'm hoping that someone may have an idea as to what I'm seeing.

Vincenzo.

they are: pseudocorynactis caribbeorum or pseudocorynactis spp

they are about .5'', live in no light areas, lack zooxanthalle.

They Are A SCORE!

here is a good read about them...
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/oct2002/invert.htm
they are almost at the bottom of the page.

OttawaReefer

Those ones are a lot more colourful than the ones on the rock.  I haven't noticed little balls on the ends of the tentacles. 

I just turned the lights on in the room and looked at the larger of the three.  The top face has a darker area that is in the shape of a pentagon. 

Grrr.  I'm going to have to find a way to photograph these.

OttawaReefer

It's not a great shot, but he's so small that the distortion of the glass of the tank makes any other shot impossible unless I move the rock.

You'll see why I thought it was aiptasia....except some clear variation....and somehow nocturnal.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Funkmotor

Going by that picture, I'd also say that was aiptasia.  They are called 'glass anemones' after all.

OttawaReefer

Quote from: Funkmotor on October 25, 2009, 01:24:12 AM
Going by that picture, I'd also say that was aiptasia.  They are called 'glass anemones' after all.

That's what I thought too, but I've never seen anything about aiptasia being only nocturnal.    Well, I put a small bit of reef putty/epoxy over two.  I couldn't see the hole that the third is in.  I'll get him eventually

Vincenzo.

they r prolly what i said. Tobad. There are many colorations. And are a good feeder