New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

CO2 Diffusion

Started by Nelson, June 14, 2005, 01:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nelson

Does anyone know of any potential hazards with injecting CO2 into the intake hose of a canister filter to take advantage of the water turbulance to diffuse the gas into the water?  Would CO2 exposure have an adverse effect on the micro-organisms? Long-term effects on the seals? impeller? plastic?

BigDaddy

The most common annoyance is that it may airlock your canister if you have a top mounted impellor.

CO2 dissolves into carbonic acid... so over the long term, it would have an effect on rings and other soft plastics.

dannypd

Quote from: "BigDaddy"The most common annoyance is that it may airlock your canister if you have a top mounted impellor.

CO2 dissolves into carbonic acid... so over the long term, it would have an effect on rings and other soft plastics.

The best "homebrew" diffuser I've seen is a powerhead(pump) with c02 being injected before the impeller, and a small hose (3-4") connected to such.

Nelson

Quote from: "dannypd"
Quote from: "BigDaddy"The most common annoyance is that it may airlock your canister if you have a top mounted impellor.

The best "homebrew" diffuser I've seen is a powerhead(pump) with c02 being injected before the impeller, and a small hose (3-4") connected to such.

Thanks guys...I think I'll give the powerhead idea a try.

dannypd

Quote from: "Nelson"
Quote from: "dannypd"

Thanks guys...I think I'll give the powerhead idea a try.

Let's just say, it's the most appealing one....there's also the pop-bottle sponge version, much better, but very tacky!

BigDaddy

Nelson:

Take a Maxi Jet powerhead (because it has a mounting that allows for multiple directions).  Point the output downward in the tank.  Take a Python gravel vac tube... the green dome fits perfectly on the output of the powerhead.

Clog up the end with an Eheim filter pad (the loose sponge one [Eheim calls it a "filter pillow"])

Then drill a small hole in the top of the gravel vac to introduce your CO2.

Works like a charm and looks like this when you are done:

(the pic includes an airstone at the end of the CO2 line and an Eheim prefilter sponge to keep the reactor clean)

Credit to John LeVasseur for his Treatise on DIY CO2 which I consider one of the best articles on the web.

Nelson

Quote from: "BigDaddy"Nelson:

Take a Maxi Jet powerhead (because it has a mounting that allows for multiple directions).  Point the output downward in the tank.  Take a Python gravel vac tube... the green dome fits perfectly on the output of the powerhead.

Clog up the end with an Eheim filter pad (the loose sponge one [Eheim calls it a "filter pillow"])

(the pic includes an airstone at the end of the CO2 line and an Eheim prefilter sponge to keep the reactor clean)

Credit to John LeVasseur for his Treatise on DIY CO2 which I consider one of the best articles on the web.
Excellent BigDaddy....thanks

dannypd

Quote from: "Nelson"
Quote from: "BigDaddy"Nelson:

Excellent BigDaddy....thanks

Nice!

That looks like my powerhead and pop bottle combination in ONE!  LOL