New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Aquarium safe silicone

Started by valiko, January 20, 2004, 10:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valiko

Hello.

I am looking for the aquarium safe silicone. Both Rona and HomeDepot have "GE Silicone I windows& doors", ad it does not have any warnings except, "avoid food contact" I would assume that it is suitable for the aquariums. Since "GE Silicone II windows& doors" states that it is not for aquarium and is not FDA approved.

Does anybody have any experience with these? Any other suggestions?

Pisidan

I know from my own experience I have Used GE silicone I in my aquariums without any side effects..I have built things and used it to repair a cracked tank! From the reading I have dpone it used to say Aquarium safe but for some reason they removed that so as far as I know and from my experience it is safe to use!

saltydog

Canadian Tire sells a Mastercraft brand silicone (green & white) that says on the tube that it is safe for aquariums. I have used it. It is.
-thankful for a tankfull-

valiko

Is the tube green, or the silicone itself? ;)

Thanks for the suggestions. Now I now what to do ;)

saltydog

The tube is green & white. Silicone may be clear, white, almond, brown, etc. You want the clear-coloured silicone. Check it carefully. Twice I bought the white & didn't realize it until I squeezed it out!

james

Hi
Canadian tire  has  a clear siilcone (green print) that list is safe for aquariums. But like all siilcone you must let it cure for at least a week before putting any fish in I used it and its ok
James
55-g  Kribs. Busyi nose pleco, abino
25 gal yellow lab , Brichardi,
55-g white top Afra, Synodontus Alberti,
33- gal PS Demansoni
30-g Dim..Compressiceps , 55 gal  red swords, 
.30-g  P.S Flavus

Marc

If the container says 100% pure silicone then it's ok for aquarium use.

To use in an aquarium the silicone can't have any additives or colours added to it.  "Bathroom" or "tub" silicone has mildewcide added to it to retard the growth of mold and mildew.   Naturally, mildewcide is toxic to fish.

Pure silicone is clear in colour.

Marc

vpilieci

I am confused!!!???  :shock:

I keep hearing these wacky and ranging time frames for stuff... one of the posts above says to let the silicon cure for a week??? It says on the package that it takes 2 hours to fully cure and 24 hours to completely bond... so I would think 24 hours would be enough and 48 would be overkill to be safe...

How long have you let you're silicon cure and what do you find adequate???

Thanks....

VP

The reason I ask is cuz I just used some Marine-brand aquarium silicon to fasten a rock structure together and I am eager to get it in my tank.

artw

I use Silicon 1 from Home depot. it comes in a white and blue tube. I've resealed and filled aquariums 24 hours after applying silicone.  if you can still smell silicon it is not safe to add water yet.

does anyone know if you can buy black silicone?

ambushman2j

Is silicon from these places that much cheaper then silicon you would buy from a LFS?.. specific aquarium silicon is only 8-9$ at a LFS..doesn't seem like that much $$$ when there seems to be so much conflicting advice

saltydog

Aquarium-safe slicone from Canadian Tire costs about $4-5 & comes in a tube for insertion into a caulking gun. Some of the silcone I have seen at LFS must be squeezed out of the tube by hand.

james

Hi
Canadian Tire has a clear silc that is label safe for aquaruims. Its come in a white tube with green and yellow lettering stock 67-0860-4

James
55-g  Kribs. Busyi nose pleco, abino
25 gal yellow lab , Brichardi,
55-g white top Afra, Synodontus Alberti,
33- gal PS Demansoni
30-g Dim..Compressiceps , 55 gal  red swords, 
.30-g  P.S Flavus

Pisidan

I use G.E. Silicone 1 never had a problem with it and it used to safe Aquarium safe on it but they took that off maybe for legal purposes...but I still use it and it never harms my fish..I get it at walmart for 2-3 bucks a tube!!

artw

hey valiko

What are you using it for?   everyone forgot to ask that.

Migs

valiko

Quote from: "artw"hey valiko

What are you using it for?   everyone forgot to ask that.

planning to have a diy aquarium. Researching the topic ;)