Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

GFCI Protection!

Started by mikerobart, February 11, 2010, 02:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikerobart

So I know I probably should have set this up when I got my tank going. I also know that many people do not use GFCI outlets. A few quick questions:

Anyone have experience with the plug in GFCI ( so I don't have to change the outlet ) ?

Is installing a GFCI plug a better idea than the plug in ones ? I don't really care which way I do it, but a plug in one would be great because I renting right now and could take it with me when I move.

Any problems with them tripping when they should not ? Power outtages causing them to trip ? Not resetting after outtages ?

I'm concerned with running into problems tripping it. Between the pumps, metal halide ballasts, pc ballasts, t5ho ballast, the reefkeeper powerstrip / controller switching outlets on and off... is this thing seriously not going to trip even when it should not be ?

Some advice before I go buy either an outlet, or the plug in kind (where can I find one of these.. crappy tire? last I checked HD did not have them).. will be appreciated.

beertech

Absolutely install one,
Either one is equally effective for your safety. I have 2 in my fishroom, each on a seperate circuit, never had either one trip due to equipment. I have all types of lighting, sump pumps, skimmer etc..They aren't affected by metal halides either.

Do it today,just in case.

Gord

mikerobart

Yeah I started to think more about my safety when a diy electrical goof turned made my entire fixture live and I burnt a ballast and a bulb. Found the problem and let's just say it's a good think that I kept my hands off the fixture when first testing out the new wiring.

It's good to know either one is just as good. Do you know where I can get the in line plug in type ? I am pretty sure I have asked home depot and was told they did not carry them.

Rybren

The only plug-in types that I've seen locally are the Contractor Extension Cord/Power Center ones.  I THINK that I saw them at Lowes. I remember looking at HD, Rona, and Cdn Tire not seeing them at any of those places.

I know that you can get the plug-ins at some of the Canadian online sites.  Reef Solution has one for $19.95

http://www.reefsolution.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=38&products_id=1401
120G Reef

mikerobart

Thanks Rybren that looks like a nice solution.

OttawaFolkFestivum

+1 for GFCI. Under-used in the hobby.
Cheers, Steve

mikerobart

I need to make it a priority for real. It would probably take a few seconds of really bad luck and it's all over... definitely work the $20

Canoe

They also have them for the outdoor tools, like electric lawn mowers.

In a rental unit, you're on risky legal ground touching the electrical system. You can buy an in-box unit, and an external box to put it in, but an external unit is already safely housed and you can't make a mistake in wiring it up. It is also very easy to visually confirm that everything is wired through that point and hence all is protected.

An external GFCI unit should work just as well as a in-box(wall) GFCI receptacle. However, note that GFCI units do not shut off the circuit breaker they run off of; they disconnect current from the receptacles and the protected output connections. NOTE: in-box GFCI receptacle units can be wired to pass on unprotected supply current to extend the circuit.

Both an in-box(wall) GFCI receptacle on a wall or an External GFCI unit laying on the floor will pass current if they are flooded as the water gets to the wires supplying current to the unit (at least until the current flow is enough to shut off the circuit breaker). Make sure you position your external GFCI unit above where it can be flooded!

In your own house, a GFCI circuit breaker works even faster - better protection. But last time I got one they were in the $90 and up range.

Neither are affected by power outages or false tripping. They trip only upon detecting current flow on the ground wire, which only happens if a circuit or "appliance" loaded to the GFCI is wired incorrectly or if such fails or is shorted by a flood or other incident. They will not reset upon powerout and powerup - once triggered they required manual resetting (for safety). If one trips on you, find out why!

For in-box GFCI receptacles, take care to follow the wiring directions, in particular if you're going to have additional receptacles ganged (and protected) by that GFCI.

And, what is the age of the rental unit (assuming modern ones are done to code)? As in, is there in fact a ground wire supplied to the existing receptacle's ground? Back in the day there were two-prong receptacles and two wire circuits (live & neutral), not three wire (live, neutral & ground). Many were later retro-fitted with three-prong receptacles for convenience with modern three-prong plugs, but without upgrading the two wire circuits - there is no ground protection. Without an actual ground wire, I can't see how there would be current flow for the GFCI to trigger on.
Anyone?

mikerobart

Well I am going to assume I do have grounds because I don't think the workhorse 5 ballast will fire properly unless the case is grounded. Not 100% sure on this. I could do either the in wall or the external one, as my landlord is pretty easy going. It's actually a basement apartment and he did most of the work himself. Probably wouldn't mind either way we get along well. I am thinking in my case rather than mess with the wiring (which still may be pretty easy anyways.. ) and take a chance of getting it wrong I might just use the plug in type. I run the whole tank off of a single outlet, two plugs, and haven't tripped the breaker yet so it's all I need. With all the lights pumps skimmer etc on I am probably around 1200W or 10A ( Did I remember 1st year physics right there... ? ).

I just want to not have to worry about dying if something failed electrically or *knock on wood* a 50lb light fixture came crashing into the tank.

Snider82

Canoe, Good ol' knob and tube wiring! lol  that stuff is scarrrry!   

What i have read about 2 wire circuit GFCI, is that it will monitor the difference between the "hot" wire and the neutral.  If the difference between the current leaving and returning through the current transformer of the GFCI is 5 milliamperes (+ or – 1 milliampere), it will trip.     

I personally would want to upgrade any wiring if its not copper grounded.    being a renter (like myself) there isn't too much you can do other than move.    i fortunately have up-to-date wires were I'm living.

**Edit**   also,  the receptacles must be marked with the words "GFCI Protected" and "No Equipment Ground" if there is no ground wire hooked up.