Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Co2/Argon Regulator Question

Started by gauthier613, March 17, 2010, 09:43:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gauthier613

Would something like this work for a Co2 set up for a planted tank?
It says Argon and Co2 gases but I'm a little confused on if it would work.  Any input is appreciated.

http://www.princessauto.com/welding/welding-products/accessories-components/8082471-argon/co2-regulator?keyword=Co2+regulator

It says Argon and Co2 gases but I'm a little confused on if it would work.  Any input is appreciated.

johnrt

The upper gauge is pressure and will work if the fitting, to the right, will fit your tank and the tank pressure in the tank is less than 4000 lb / inch^2.

The left gauge is flow rate for CO^2 or argon gas. The red scale is for CO^2 and is accurate from 8 CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute) to 20 CFM. The black scale is for argon gas and is accurate for 20 CFM to 30 CFM.

Eight CFM of CO^2 is a lot of CO^2 for a tank, so this device will 'work', i.e., not rust, bust, rip, chip, corrode, explode or come apart at the seams when used with CO^2, but may not be the beat device for your application.

jetstream

I think you need to replace the adaptor with a CGA 320 female to connect the regulator to the CO2 bottle.  ;)

No, the unit is in CFH which is cubic feet per hour if the printing in the dial is right.

charlie

The short answer - yes it can work, but you will need to swap the CGA 580 inlet for a CGA 320 inlet to work on the CO2 bottles in Canada.( as suggested by Jetstream).
You can use an adapter as shown in link
http://www.princessauto.com/welding/welding-products/accessories-components/8095325-argon/co2-adapter.
Regards

gauthier613

Wow that was fast and informative... Thanks for much for the quick replies!

johnrt

"No, the unit is in CFH which is cubic feet per hour if the printing in the dial is right."

Right-o. You squint better than I do.

gauthier613

Oh OK so CFH wont' work then eh?...

Too bad as they have valve on sale for 39.99$

johnrt

Quote from: gauthier613 on March 17, 2010, 02:52:26 PM
Oh OK so CFH wont' work then eh?...

Too bad as they have valve on sale for 39.99$

No, I read the gauge label wrong. Something in the order of 8 - 20 Cubic Feet per Hour might be reasonable, I don't know. But I did know that 8 - 20 Cubic Feet per Minute would be too much unless you wanted to carbonate your tank.

Jetstream suggested that an adapter could be used on the tank, so $40 for all the glass and brass plus $?? for the adapter might still be a good and usable deal.

gauthier613

Any recomendations for a cheap place to get a CO2 tank?

HomerJ

I have a 10lbs tank that you can have for free.  You'll probably have to get it water tested when you have it filled (I think it may be just a bit over 6 years old).  It is in perfect condition with no rust.  There is still CO2 in it, qty unknown.

charlie

gauthier613,just wondering if you have figured in a needle valve to further reduce the flow of gas to a workable flow, also if you want to have the co2 turned on & off via a timer or other , you would need a solenoid.
Regards