Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

whats going on with my Mh bulb?

Started by NjOyRiD, March 05, 2010, 09:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NjOyRiD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIg4gPdr_xg

help please

my bulb in olny 3 months old
its shutting down after a minute

hours later..it goes on ?!?!
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

JD

I know in industrial lighting, if a bulb cycles like that it's time for a new one.
If you switch the bulb for another does it do the same. Or put that bulb on a different ballast does it act in the same manner?
I realize the bulb is only 3 mths old but it may be defective. A few people I know have had a bulb explode in it's first month of use.
What bulb and ballast combination are you using?

NjOyRiD

coralvue bulb 400w
blue line balast

tomorrow I,ll switch the 2 bulbs see goes on
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

JD

Blue line electronic ballasts do not have huge output, so overpowering/overdriving the bulb to death should not be an issue.
According to Blueline specs their 400 watt ballast outputs 365 watts while consuming 3.16 amps at 120 volts. Does that ballast drive another similar bulb without issues? If so you should look into replacing the bulb.
What temp of bulb? I may have a replacement on hand if interested.

NjOyRiD

its alright thanx ill go see my friend AZ haha
370g System

JD

NjOyRiD

370g System

JetJumper

Hey,

I had this happen to a 600Watt bulb once that I had (Had to be replaced).  Most bulbs come with a warranty.  I don't know about the one you bought, but the ones I had were 1 year warranty.  I got it replaced after 7 months of use and got a brand new one that lasted a lot longer :)

.: JetJumper's Zone :.

ordi260

Im no expert but i would +1 that...i work in a movie theater myself (projectionnist) and when we change the xenon bulbs we need to make em run a bit to see if they are faulty...
Warranty cover sit if they are blinking, doesn't light etc...!

[li]
33 gallons - FW Community tank [/li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
30 gallons terrarium - Crested gecko[/li]
[/list]

NjOyRiD

I just switched the bulbs around...

its really the bulb failing
370g System