Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Good Ottawa glass shop ?

Started by mikerobart, April 05, 2010, 12:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikerobart

Can anyone reccomend a shop to cut some baffles for a sump ? What would I be looking at in terms of cost ? Thanks

winston199

I use mirror works all the time they are on Hawthorne rd.

mikerobart

Could someone share more or less what price will be for each small baffle ( let's say 12"x9" for example) with edges smoothed a bit.

HomerJ

Honestly, you can do it with a cheapie 5$ "glass cutter" from Home Depot.  I was amazed at how easy it was to cut glass!  As always, measure twice, cut once!

(Cutting is the easy part.  "Siliconing" the baffles in place without making a mess, now that's a challenge! ;-b

http://patsfirstreef.blogspot.com/

mikerobart

Well if I can cut glass for $5 and have a good result that sounds great. On the other hand, if it was $20 to have all my cuts done at a shop I'd probably save myself the trouble. Hopefully I will be able to pick up some glass and get these baffles done soon.

HomerJ

Rybren

I believe I paid about $35 for 4 baffles: 3 @ 11x12" and 1 @ 14x12". All were 3/16" thick and the edges lightly ground.
120G Reef

mikerobart

Thanks that's exactly the info I was looking for... not bad at all.

salvini55

when i constructed my sump I went to a place called "brown and macfarrlen" or something like that and was charged $26 for 4 sheets of glass 12X9

mikerobart

I received a PM recommending them as well Kevin... I think I'll try there first.

JetJumper

Quote from: salvini55 on April 06, 2010, 12:43:21 PM
when i constructed my sump I went to a place called "brown and macfarrlen" or something like that and was charged $26 for 4 sheets of glass 12X9

I have called them for pricing as well.  They were pretty decent from the quotes I got around town.
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

mikerobart

Ok another question... my sump will be 12" wide (standard 20g long I think).. and everyone is mentioning baffles with 12" width.. can I assume the actual internal width of the tank will be say 12 and 1/16" or something like that ? I was wondering if the actual internal width is very close to 12" the baffles could actually have to be cut to 11 7/8 "etc.

I can measure and check when I get the tank but I can assume the INTERNAL width of the 20g long will be 12" ?

Rybren

I was advised to size mine 1/8" narrower than the INSIDE dimensions of the tank.  This leaves 1/16" on each side for silicone.  IIRC, mine were cut to 11 7/8, but make sure to measure your tank.

Most people will advise using 1/4" glass but I went with 3/16".  I hope that I don't live to regret it.  All of the "experts" on RC and other sites will tell you not to go down to 1/8" - it will usually hold water okay on smaller sumps, but is very fragile.
120G Reef

salvini55

measure for sure, I just said 12"X9" and my baffles are crooked because there too wide... lol. Kinda worked out though for sump spacing and the skimmer so I have no regrets

mikerobart

Since the glass shop on clyde is closest I went with them. $40 for my four baffles just got off the phone. 5mm glass 9"x 11 7/8  (x2) and 7"x11 7/8 (x2) They will be ready by 4pm ! Two hours turn around on anything is pretty awesome if you ask me.

charmed1

twenty gallon long is not very big, take it with you and let them measure them, or better yet leave it with them so they can make sure they fit  ;D