Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Clay pots with openings at dollar store

Started by Dorrie, May 25, 2010, 10:18:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorrie

Not as cool as pleco caves http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=44881.0, but still ;D

I was strolling through my neighborhood dollar store (Dollar ou Deux aka Buck or Two on 25 du Plateau, Hull)
when I stumbled across something that triggered my fishy side: clay pots joined together.
I thought that if I could separate them, the joint would create a nice opening into the pots.
(Clay pots are great for SA cichlids and skittish fish, or growing moss on top of them.)
So I bought the pot for $2+tax and tried to pry the pieces apart. I achieved the desired result in only a few seconds :D
The 2 separated pots are now being soaked in my sink to clear out any trace of residue and to facilitate finer refinements
(smoothing out the sharper points of the joint left).
The separated pots are 10 cm (4'') in top diameter, 7.5 cm (3'') of bottom diameter and 9 cm (3.5'') high.
Here is a picture:

Just though I'd share this find.
For those interested, check out your own Buck or Two or dare to venture out to other side ;)

johnrt

Are these unglased, like the old raw clay flowerpots or are they smooth and shinny?

Dorrie

They're unglazed, because they're not shiny at all (no colour difference between the inside and the outside) and they feel chalky-earthy.

Glazed pots could be a problem in the aquarium (some glazes contain heavy metals, like lead), so I wouldn't recommend them.

johnrt

You are right. I am looking for the unglazed. I would be particularly worried about $2 glazed objects.

Dorrie

Quote from: johnrt on May 29, 2010, 10:31:02 AM
I would be particularly worried about $2 glazed objects.
You're not the only one. ;D