Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Epoxy and other sticky substances

Started by freshfishies, May 17, 2010, 07:54:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freshfishies

Hey Astare! haha. This is better :P
To continue the conversation...
Is it cheaper than sealant? Or stronger? What ideas do you have?! :D

astare

you're looking at about the same price range and durability. so whatever best suits the project ie. black blends in with rocks and clear works best as a cover. the biggest idea in my overcrowded imagination right now is a complete rock wall. essentially a wall built up with some gravity defying angles in it. id like to do one with some porous rocks that would support plant roots so it would look like an overgrown mountain face. build in a few caves and you have a great home for even the fussiest Africans. although plant selection is always a problem with these guys. i would probably do a combo of java moss and fern, just acause i have had the best luck with these ones...

i have been working on an inukshuk that my pleco wont ko. as of late but i just cant seem to get it to look the way i want. im using shale but the legs look really dorky.

what did you have in mind for your setup?

freshfishies

We are playing with a few ideas. Not sure what we want to settle on just yet. I've been researching some nifty cave type backgrounds, and some things that involve stryofoam, etc. I've also been thinking about building some "secret" caves that blend into the gravel. I'd like to do a rocky mountain type deal too that has moss or something covering it. So many possibilities, and not enough space!
Where do people find the large pieces of styrofoam to carve anyway?

Brent Shaver

You can get the block style styrofoam at any large hobby store.  If they dont have it in stock they will be happy to order it for you.

Another option considering you will be covering it would be getting the block material used for flower displays, smaller blocks but can be put together easily enough.

Michaels(sp?) would be one option.

astare

ya the michales by my place carries some that ive used before. i love the idea of the hidden cave. see what happens when genius meets.  :P

i think there could be some fun if you mixed elements from your ideas, hidden caves would be great, Styrofoam is a great medium for tricky designs and will accept some mosses quite well. phoenix or Singapore could give it sort of an arboreal mountain thang. how big is the tank youre looking to do and is it standard, bowfront ect? what kind of fish do you want to/ have in there? 

freshfishies

Sorry I took so long to reply :-[
I have a standard 75 gallon, fw community (livebearers, tetras, corydoras, etc.)
The secret cave I definitely want to construct for my pair of kribs, and some other hidey caves for the cories, etc.

I'll be hitting up Michael's soon it seems..can't wait!  :D

Thanks everyone :)

astare

best of luck with it. if you need a hand let me know. i cant wait to see picks of the cave when its all set up.

dan2x38

During research regarding painting inside an aquarium I found tons of great ideas & project. Maybe these links can help you? Great techniques and list supplies used for each.

stump - http://freshwatercichlids.com/diy-3d-corener-background

rock - http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93242

rock - http://aquarium.mriweb.nl/en/index.php
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

kerisb

What great links Dan...................the tree trunk is especially great.

astare

thanks a bunch, that's exactly what i needed. fun new ideas on what to do. i had never thought about a tree trunk base. the roots would be a great place for caves. especially now that im the proud owner of about 70 convict fry; mom and dad are already dancing again.