Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Hamburg Mattenfilter supplies and URLs

Started by johnrt, May 31, 2010, 09:36:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishnut

My pond is being built soon, so I'll want to build my sump and use the media asap!  If it gets here on time, lets have a filter building party for Canada Day! :D  Everyone's supposed to be off work and most businesses are closed.

johnrt

Quote from: bitterman on June 07, 2010, 08:03:09 PM
I thought so also. Like I posted in the group order thread

"So who all wants the 20 ppi? I think I would like a sheet i'm thinking of going 2" as I need the stability for my big tanks."

Bruce

Reposted from the Group Order section:

Please remember how this stuff is made. They take glop and foam it up to a target density (ppi) in the form of an enormous blob, up to 5 foot by 10 foot by who knows how long. They then cut off the rounded bits to make a regular shape 4 - 5 feet on one side, 7 to 10 on another and who knows how long. At that point they measure the actual ppi.

The properties of the foam are dependent on the glop it is made of and the size of the pores. The 'T' type foam is specifically made for aquariums (that "everybody uses" according to them), and currently they have a blue muffin, called T15M, that they are chopping up and it is rated at 15 ppi at this part of the muffin, it may be finer or coarser at a different part of the same muffin.

They have two other types of food grade glop, that I know of, that 'some people use'. The plain 30 and 45 ppi and the seeming different A30 ppi. All are used by aquarium people and all are charcoal gray.

Now I asked for a quote on 10, T15M, 20, 30 and 45 ppi at 1.5" thick. I got back T15M, 30, A30 and 45 ppi prices. I do not know it that was an error or of that is what they have right now. They may have had T20M when Udo purchased, but he also said it did not make much difference. First 2 cm for filtration (2.5 cm for 10 ppi and 1.5 cm for 20 ppi ??), the rest of the thickness is for strength.

As fishbuddy suggested, eggcrate will be stronger than any reasonable thickness of foam.

Having talked to Udo prior to the presentation, I had decided to get 1.5" stock for my use. It is a good size and a double thickness (3") could be made by putting several small blobs of silicone sealer between two sheets and get much of the strength of a thick sheet, but no extra filtration, first 2 - 3 cm only - max!

Once the muffin is mounted, they custom cut thicknesses. If anybody wants a different thickness and wants more than 1/2 the sheet, I'll take the rest.

I am interested in 10 ppi myself, and will request 20 ppi if people want it, but it may not exist at the moment, but I do not have a price. If they have it I will get a sheet and people can have part of it, but I will not ask for another quote. I do not want to discourage them from dealing with individual hobbiest. Unlike Udo said, I am ordering as an individual, not a company, and they are OK with that, but they do stick with the $250 minimum purchase. Most orders are for a truckload. I am still waiting on the shipping costs, but assume $10 or less per square foot, all in unless I post otherwise.

John T

bitterman

I guess I will go with a sheet of the 1.5" 15 ppi then. I would rather go coarser then too fine as the fish I keep are upto 18" long. Also using the same material as you are ordering will decrease setup fees.

Regards,
   Bruce

Brent Shaver

As mentioned before I will also take 3 sq ft of the 15ppi.

Thanks alot for doing the leg work and ordering John, greatly appreciated...

ajm1961

I think I sent this via PM to John - but just to make sure:
I'll take 4 square feet of the 15ppm - 24" x 24" - I'll cut the pieces I need myself.
Thanks!
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

FishBuddy

And I'll take 10 square feet of the 15PPI myself... 

[li]72 gal bow: various exotic cichlids
    [/li]