Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Pleco Price...good? Not-so-good?

Started by Fishnut, August 05, 2010, 10:03:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishnut

I bought a Blue Phantom Pleco in TO yesterday.  It's 2" and I paid $25.00 for it.

I haven't noticed them in the LFS's here so I had no idea if it was a good price or not.

fischkopp

Seems like a fair price from a fish store.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

jetstream

For a so call fancy pleco, the price is very reasonable from a fish store!

Fishnut

It's funny you guys are both saying "from a fish store".  Breeders charge a fraction of the price I guess?

Good to know I didn't over-pay.  I got it from Lucky.  I never seem to over-pay when I go there :).  I also bought a new copper coloured plakat betta and a copper coloured half moon betta for a great deal! :D

Brine

Such a beautiful fish. I don't know what they "usually" sell for but $25 seems like a great price to me. Like all things it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

Fishnut

Yeah!  I've always thought the green ones were pretty but on this trip, I saw the blue one.  They had  4" blue phantom for close to $60 and a dozen or so of these babies for $28.  When I go there, I always haggle...they're used to it...so when I paused to "think", he said I can have it for $25 :D.  I was buying bettas too :).

Zigot

Is that in GTA?

I think it's a very nice price for a rare pleco. I saw some golden nugget in Montreal that runs like $40+

Nerine

Lucky's is awesome :D

Do you have any photos to show us of your new pl*co???
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

Fishnut

No...and not for the lack of trying :).  It's situated very comfortably under the corner of the drift wood in the tank.

robt18

Whaaat, $25 for an L128? Great deal!! The L128s can come in the really dark blue (almost black) and a lighter navy blue form, and the spotting on them also differs between specimens. The lighter ones with more spots and bigger spots typically sell for more, so it depends on how yours looks. But either way, $25 is a great price, usually it'd go for closer to $50.

Rob