Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Silica Sand

Started by ottawa_fry22, July 22, 2010, 04:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ottawa_fry22

Hey everyone,

I would like to know if anyone knows where I can purchase fine silica sand.  I had be told to check a few places so, I have checked Home Depot, Mermaid, and some other pool store off of St. Joseph today.  None of these places had what I'm looking for.  I've found only brown play sand and other sands that are not soft enough.  I'm just trying to save some money but avoiding buying the sand from BA's.

Any other places I should look?

Much appreciated.  :)

Steph
75 gal planted, t5HO, fine soft sand, powder-form hydroponic fertilizers., 5 viejita apistogramma, 1 Banjo Cat, 1 Rapheal Cat, 3 Emerald Corys, 2 black angels, 1 Bushynose Pleco, 1 molly, 5 SAEs, 2 bolivian ram, 1 kribensis.

20 gal low light sand tank, 4 white cloud mountain minnows.

nissannx

ive bought white silica sand at homedepot. very very fine easy to distrube.

Benja

I bought mine from some pool place on Ogilvie.
They call it pool filter sand... same thing.
Beware, your fish's colours might bleach out.

wandmangels

i have the pool filter sand its a little bit bigger than sillica sand but still fine

Brine

Mekley has a range of grain sizes to choose from and it is around $20 for 50lbs
http://www.merkleysupply.com/

FishBuddy

I just bought another bag of silica sand from Mermaids a couple of weeks ago.  I've been using their stuff for a few years now; no issues. 

The grains of the sand is not too fine, which is good.  Otherwise, if you ever need to siphon your tank, you'll remove a lot of the sand.  I am currently running a couple of African cichlid tanks.  Being Africans, they tend to dig and sift a lot.  This sand is perfect for them and it will not get caught in their gills.

The color of the sand is off-white and has a beautiful contrast in a black/dark tank.

[li]72 gal bow: various exotic cichlids
    [/li]

Jay

I bought some white pool filter sand from Pure Water on Roberston Rd.  $11/ 50lb bag.

Nerine

I got my white silica sand at Mermaid on Ogilvie paid $7 for 20 lbs? or something like that hehe it was super cheap and I love it!!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

pminister

Question for those of you who use Sand in their aquariums. Whether it be a regular setup or a planted setup. What is the grain size like ? B/c i went to HD and the Play Sand that I picked up is almost like powder style.

Anyone else bought Sand/Silicia that has a bit of bigger grain size like Eco-Complete, or something close to it. If so where ? And what is the color like ?

I dropped my Merkley's and the Sand they had was similar to what HD had, except it was more white.

I know you can sand blasting sand which almost looks like tiny beads, and it does come in beige tinge which has a nice natural appeal. But its expensive ! eek.

Any suggestions.

Here is a pic to what i am looking for.

[attachment deleted by admin]