Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Segregated Discus laying eggs!

Started by ciaus, August 09, 2010, 07:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciaus

So after waiting for a year, it started to happen, yippee!
I noticed that the two were exhibiting mating shaking etc over the past week so I dropped in a divider of egg crate into the main the main tank.

They started laying within the last hour. 
What should be my next steps?

Ciaus.

[attachment deleted by admin]

karjean

Congratulation, sorry i cannot recommend anything. :D

ciaus

robt18

Nice!

In all likelihood, keep them separated and wait for the feast to begin.... typically they'll eat the first 3 or 4 batches. BUT, it the odd case that they don't eat them, just leave them there and the parents should guard/fan the eggs. After a few days they'll hatch and then the little guys should attach to the sides of the parents to feed on their slime coat.

Discus are pretty good parents, not much work for you to do!

ciaus

So after four days here is a picture of the eggs, sorry about the low resolution but the cell phone cam is all I have right now.  I understand that the "fuzzy" eggs are dead having been infected by some fungus, the rest of the eggs are noticeably more white now than when placed on the pot.  The female has been about an inch away since laying the eggs, and the male has wandered aimlessly around, until today, he moved in and started to nibble at "fuzzy" eggs, so the female drives him off, not too far like she would to other fish, but just the same, off of the eggs.

I am not seeing any "wigglers" yet, all but the individual eggs are much larger than when layed.

Does this batch of eggs, based upon what can be seen, still look viable?  Or is this batch destined to become a protein source? 

[attachment deleted by admin]

robt18

Looks like food to me...

Often takes them a few times to get it right. Hopefully they'll fan the eggs more next type. Methalyne blue helps keep the fungus away, but you could also ass a little more water flow to help out... I'd be careful with meth blue and discus since they're pretty sensitive to everything.

ciaus

The eggs became a meal for someone overnight, but she is still guarding the immediate area as though the eggs were still there.  I have removed the egg crate divider and the male is going APE S**T with one other Discus, - of approximately the same size.  Otherwise  this event was, as many expected, a learning session for the newly mated pair.
This process took from the 9th to the 13th of August.  The clock is reset and counting days/weeks/months until the next batch is placed.
Pigeon Blood and red checker board should make for an interesting looking critter, eventually. 

Thanks all.

Ciaus