Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

My poor reef :(

Started by salvini55, September 12, 2010, 02:46:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

salvini55

just got back from a week long vaca, the tank went haywire. algae everywere, corals all dead and most inverts are dead or dying. What the Eff happened? Tested the water and the nutrients have skyrocketed out of nowhere. So I got the python out to do a massive waterchange and vac the sandbed. To my surprise, I could not get the python to go into the sand.... wierd. Turns out the entire sandbed is solid like a rock. From what i could research its called "glycocalyx", bacteria forming so rapidly that it secreats a sugary protein that binds the sand bed. I thought that it was a precipitation event in the sandbed but it seems as though that is a myth.

so long story short, dang.

Vincenzo.

Rybren

Wow.

Bummer.  That really stinks.
120G Reef

White Lightning

Thats a bummer Kev! Sorry to hear about your loss. I hope at least you enjoyed your vacation....

Hookup

damn... that's one of my worst fears...

salvini55

ya, cant catch a break with this tank lol. thanks guys. im moving at the end of october outta this apt. into a town house where ill set up a nice space in the basement for the fish tank. Im hopefull that the added space will make tank life easier/better  ;D so im acctually excited.

yes I enjoyed my vacation very much, we went to a cottage with our new puppy! His name is Boa and hes a great dane. Hes 4 months old now tippin the scales at 60lbs, Ive had him since Canada day.  :D

Hookup

if ya need a hand sett'n up, let me know

dan2x38

Sorry about the loss dude crappy deal... :(
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

salvini55

yes, super crappy indeed but this calls for a new tank! cant wait.

ill see if I can upload a pic of Boa for y'all

keep in mind he is only 4 months old  :D

[attachment deleted by admin]

dan2x38

Glad your scoopin' after him and not me... LOL I hate doin' it for our small guy a YorkiePo... no pun intend by the way...  8)
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

kerisb

wow sorry to hear of your tank...............seems vacations and salt water tanks don't mix well

new2salt

Sorry about your fishy friends. :(
On the other hand, good looking pooch, they can also be a handfull
:)

RoxyDog

So sorry to hear about your tank.  :(  But congrats on the puppy!  We adopted a 140lb, 3 year old female dane a bit ago and she is amazing, you will LOVE your guy.  :)
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

salvini55

thanks guys,

I do love him, he has such a personality. big clumsy oaf lol