Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Water...water...water...it always goes down eh?

Started by ordi260, September 28, 2010, 06:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ordi260

Yeah...i've done it lol

Got up EARLY this morning to do some stuff...went to school...came back...figured out the tank could use a water change...do it...run out of RO/DI salty mix...hook up the RO unit into the drum...start the thing...think about watchin TV on the bed...fall asleep...and BANG wake up with the girlfriend screaming around...THERE IS WATER EVERYWHERE AHHHHHHHH

BUMMER

now...why haven't the float switch made his job...anyway we managed to get thing "dry"  as far as floating floor can be dried using bath towels...

it wasn't terrible tho...just enough to make me feel like an idiot.

Lots of fans moving air around and making things a little drier...dehumidifier going full speed...

any other ideas on trying to save the chep-o-flooring?

-Alex the water man

[li]
33 gallons - FW Community tank [/li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
30 gallons terrarium - Crested gecko[/li]
[/list]

NjOyRiD

ahh chu dsl dentendre ca!!!

I'm lucky never happened to me
how big s your bucket?
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

alongfortheride

As someone who has seen her fair share of floods :) You are doing everything right.

Switch out the towels with dry ones, keep the fans running and add an auto-top off float switch to your bucket.

If the bucket is small, there is always the VERY safe method of putting the bucket in the bathtub - worse case scenerio you end up wasting some water.

holachicka

I think that has happend to every one at one time or another!!

bright side - You have wicked clean floors :D

ordi260

Quote from: holachicka on September 28, 2010, 07:15:48 PM
I think that has happend to every one at one time or another!!

bright side - You have wicked clean floors :D

Haha they are totally clean now...the only thing is that i started adding salt in it lol...not too much to i had half the container full so added half the salt to it overflowed for at least 2-4 gallons on the floor.

Cleaned the floor with water / vinegar and now the basement smells like lays chips  ;)

[li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
[/list]

ordi260

Quote from: NjOyRiD on September 28, 2010, 06:54:41 PM
ahh chu dsl dentendre ca!!!

I'm lucky never happened to me
how big s your bucket?

Its a 20 gallon rubermaid container!

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

ordi260

Quote from: alongfortheride on September 28, 2010, 07:08:28 PM

add an auto-top off float switch to your bucket.

I have one...that's why im concerned...i dont know why it haven't stopped the water flow to the container...the float was up when i woke up  :(

Maybe it has something to do with the auto shut off valve of my ro unit...is it possible that one of those go bad?

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

Vincenzo.

a hard working guy needs his sleep. i can admit once, that i was doing a w/c once, and running my daughters bath. got busy with the w/c and the bath overflowed...bummmer

redbelly

If the auto top off block fails then it leaves the waste water running.

Something must be wrong with the float vales. Either its faulty or the arm is turned too far up (or not down enough) and not enough pressure was applied to stop the water flow.
Or something blocked the vlave and stopped it from turning off. Either way the fault lies in the float valve and not the auto top off block.

holachicka

Quote from: redbelly on September 28, 2010, 11:44:39 PM
Either way the fault lies in the float valve and not the auto top off block.

and most importantly - The blame does NOT fall on you!!! :)

ordi260

Quote from: holachicka on September 29, 2010, 07:36:46 AM
and most importantly - The blame does NOT fall on you!!! :)

YOOHOO!!!  Now i need to get my girlfriend to read this thread  ;)

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

ordi260

Oh yeah and this morning the floor looks ok...apparently very dry although the dehumidifier is still pulling water (as usual) but i guess that's good that the floor didn't inflated due to water...

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

lost_at_sea

for $50 bucks this was a no brainer purchase for me:
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/leak-controller-detector-for-ro-di-systems.html

My top off and tank is also on nice hardwood flooring that i've already repair once. I don't think insurance will cover it twice.  I bought an extension to that unit too for another $20.

Now I have 1 sensor under the sink with the RODI unit and another sensor directly under the float switch in the tub it only takes a few drops to trigger the switch and stop the RO.

ordi260

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

new2salt

I hope you are out of the woods, as far as your flooring goes.
I had a small spill on cheep floating floor and the edges of a few boards did swell up.
Give it time, if you make the weekend without swelling up any edges, you might be OK.