Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Quick Lighting Q

Started by darkdep, September 08, 2005, 12:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkdep

So...I'm thinking for my new 90gal (24" tall) of using 6 48" T8 Daylight fluorescents.  These are 32w, giving me just over 2wpg.

I'd like to grow Amazon Sword, Valisneria (sp?), Various Hygro, and probably experiment with some other less-basic plants.

My concern is the depth of the tank.  Will the depth be too deep for this lighting setup?

I already have the ballasts (7 small electronic ones I won on ebay to run one bulb each...so I'm going to do a cool sunrise/sunset timing thang), and the bulbs and endcaps are only gonna cost me another $40-$50...

BigDaddy

With the plants you currently have... you should be fine.

Just be aware that any low lying plants (crypts, chain swords, etc) will be the ones getting the least light, so they should be planted as low light plants, even though the overall tank is medium light.

darkdep

Quote from: "BigDaddy"With the plants you currently have... you should be fine.

I hate when you reply with "..."  It usually means I'm skrewed.  :lol:

Quote from: "BigDaddy"
Just be aware that any low lying plants (crypts, chain swords, etc) will be the ones getting the least light, so they should be planted as low light plants, even though the overall tank is medium light.

"Planted as low light plants", what do you mean by this exactly?  That I should just be aware that low in the tank would be considered low-light?

I was thinking of trying to do taller plants mostly.  I've decided that I can't stand Java moss, Java fern, and every crypt I've tried to grow has gone nowhere.

I wouldn't need CO2 for this setup would I?  Would it help?

Do you have any plant suggestions?

BigDaddy

CO2 is not required, but it can certainly help.

And yes, what I meant was if the plant isn't a "tall" plant, like a crypt for example, then stick with low light.

Crypts should actually do really well in that setup.  I have a 33 gallon with the standard crappy 20 watt over it, and they do great.

Basically, you could get just about anything that is normally sold online here or at the auctions (except for some of the red plants).

If you are going to be at the meeting this month.. we can chat about it offline too.

darkdep

Hey awesome.  Yes, I'm thinking I'm gonna start attending the meetings so I'll hope to meet you, and pick your brain more about this.  

On crypts...is there anything special I should be doing for them?  I have one in my 30gal (with 50w light) and it just doesn't seem to be doing anything except slowly drooping away to death.  Other plants in the 30 are doing fairly well.  Water is 8.0ph, higher-than-normal gh/kh (although I haven't measured it recently, so I can't quote the figures)...

BigDaddy

Crypts do best with a root tab under them, and not to be touched.  If there are any changes (new lighting, transplant, etc..) then they suffer "crypt rot" where all or most of the leaves melt away.  Don't remove the plant, it will regrow.

My crypts melt a little too, when the root tab runs out and I have to replace it (temporary change in available nutrients).