New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Blackberry Torch

Started by Fishnut, October 07, 2010, 11:24:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishnut

I bought one last weekend when I managed to loose mine at a conference in Toronto. So far, I reallly like it! I know tones of people prefer the iPhone, but I prefer buttons to push when I type...plus most of those apps will never get used :). Did anyone else get one?

salvini55

my bold9700 was cool 9 months ago.....  :-[

holachicka

I think there is a reason most companies (all of the Federal Government) give their employees BB. As "cool" as the iPhones are, like Fishnut said, most of the apps dont get used unless you have your phone for pleasure rather than business and I also prefer to type on actual keys.

I've had a couple BBs for work (Curve and Pearl) and they are so durable - I even droped one in the toilet (it was not recently used but still gross, lol) at one point and after 2 days of drying - and thorough cleaning -  it worked fine...I doubt that would be the case with a touch screen...Althought, I may be wrong, it happens sometimes ;)

Now, the ipod touch is one thing I want :) The BB is for work so it's not like I would visit OVAS or update my Facebook with it...

Hookup

I have had 5 Blackberries an iPod Nano, iPod Touch, iPad and my wife has the iPhone...

I am asking work to replace my blackberry with the torch as soon as possible.

In my experience, I think mainly it is a marketing thing.  BB are targeted more for business use, and this is mainly because of their email integration through a secure BES server, where iPhone has to use connection to Exchange through somewhat insecure methods.  Corporations do not want to have any extra headaches so BES wins. 

After using both, I really like the iPad / BB combo that I tote around.  Apple still **annoys me** because of their proprietary system and the constraints they put into their OS... mainly because of the lack of awesome that the device is capable of to which Apple has denied us...

*** Edited for language ***

Brent Shaver

I use to sell the BB for Rogers on both a corporate and retail level. I was actually doing it when the very first one came out.

Number one reason BB is still the most popular for corporate is do to there enterpise server application which as mentioned stops alot of the chance of information being stolen through day to day business.

Even after working in the industry, the day I left I tossed the BB and the super fancy cell phone in the first trash can, was a great day as if I just had a big growth cut off and was normal again..lol.  I am still a believer in having a phone, but if I want toys I will stick to the home computer..

salvini55

Ipad is awsome but no flash = no fun

Jitters

I use the iPhone.  I like it.  I never got a blackberry, but maybe if I go to the big leagues and join the government I will get one.   I think that blackberry coming out with their own version of the ipad is a pretty awesome move. 

So what makes the Torch better then other blackberries?

twisty

FLASH IS NOT GOOD ANYWAY

Quote from: salvini55 on October 08, 2010, 01:47:56 PM
Ipad is awsome but no flash = no fun

***EDITED FOR LANGUAGE***

FocusFin

I tried a BB Bold in January and instead opted for the IPhone 3gs because the tiny buttons drove me nuts.

Six months later I got it wet at the cottage. Everything worked except the backlight so I did the logical thing, got out my tiny screwdrivers and proceeded to ruin it for good. ::)

A week straight of waiting in line for two hours by my wife and I now have a IPhone 4.

All I can say is the HD video/cam is oustanding. I think I can use the phone to make calls too. ;)
110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

salvini55

The only reason Id buy an I phone is for the T-pain app  ;D

Fishnut

Quote from: Jitters on October 08, 2010, 03:21:20 PM
I use the iPhone.  I like it.  I never got a blackberry, but maybe if I go to the big leagues and join the government I will get one.   I think that blackberry coming out with their own version of the ipad is a pretty awesome move. 

So what makes the Torch better then other blackberries?

Here's what I like about the Torch:

I can use the touch screen OR the keyboard
The buttons for speaker phone or mute are right there instead of having to go through a menu
I love how the new BB's are on a newer, faster network witch means that I get cell phone reception in place that I didn't get it before...like at my office.
The internet on my new Torch is the same as the internet on my laptop and I can zoom in on things just as people do with an iphone.
I can flip through picture that I've taken just like people do with an iphone
The sliding keyboard is fun
It has the ability to read and edit documents in Word, Powerpoint and Excell if you upload something onto the phone
It was the day after it's release and I didn't have to wait in a long line-up in a massive crowd, threaten to cancel my services in order to get one OR deal with any waiting list when I bought it.  I just walked into the bell store and bought it. :o
There are emoticons for text messaging and chatting!! :D

Yes, there are several features that other new BB's have, but I like the Torch more because it's the best of both worlds...BB and iphone.  That's the main reason I got it.

So far the only thing I don't like is how I sometimes touch the mute button with my cheek when I'm talking.  I'm sure there's a way to fix that though...when I have time to play with it's features a bit more.