Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Comments on and suggestions for my tank

Started by murgus, October 01, 2005, 09:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

murgus

I am hoping to get some feedback on my 35 gal. tank and what I should/could add; I've attached a current picture.  

The fauna are:

1 Turquoise Rainbow
 3 Boesemani Rainbows
 3 White Cloud Minnows
 2 Takashi Amano Shrimp (1m/1f)
 4 guppies
 1 CAE

And the flora are:

2 Java Fern
 2 Java Moss
 1 Unknown Sword

I would like to add some bottom dwellers (loaches? or corys?) and something for the top?  Some kind of centrepiece fish?  Suggestions please :lol:

One thing to note: my pH is 8.2 :roll:

Thanks,
murgus

NjOyRiD

wow! ph is high! wanna be inniate with co2?! lots of plants, also your ph will go down...
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

aidensmomma2000

zapisto

pretty new setup
now you have to let it grow and live
and perhaps work on the ph

murgus

NjOyRiD: I am on well water that is hard and alkaline.  As this is my first real tank, I am trying not to fight my pH too much!  Perhaps CO2 down the road.

aidensmomma2000: Thanks :D  Do you have examples of "carpeting plants"?

zapisto: Yeah that is the plan - I just think I am missing a couple of fish...

Thanks to everyone - I appreciate you taking the time to have a look and make suggestions :D

Thanks,
murgus

mseguin

I would say add some rocks (nothing that will raise ur pH :-) ) or some driftwood, or more plants. It will add more dimension to ur tank.

NjOyRiD

370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

murgus

mseguin & NjOyRiD:  Where do you see the driftwood going?  I have to admit that I do not see things well in my mind's eye - I have to rely on my wife for that!

Thanks,
murgus

mseguin

I would say a piece in front of the sword but behind the moss. That being said, there's really no wrong way to decorate a tank, its what u want to see.

murgus

I have a smallish piece of mopani I might try there - I am currently trying to leech the tanins out in a bucket as I do not want the stained tea look :lol:

Thanks,
murgus

PaleoFishGirl

If you're looking for some 'top dwellers,' silver hatchetfish are always a nice bet.  I'd wait until your tank matured a bit before adding more fish, though - maybe work on adding your rocks and wood, etc. first.  

Good looking setup so far!

NjOyRiD

you know what you should do, take a picture ;).well if you can :)
370g System

Julie

The mopani is awesome.  The java fern shouldn't be buried in the substrate; but perhaps attached to the mopani.  
I see male guppies but no females; so no population explosion.
Cories are nice and would add some interesting personality to the bottom.  What about a schooling fish, but not too many because your load is getting heavy.

Julie

BigDaddy

Quote from: "NjOyRiD"wow! ph is high! wanna be inniate with co2?! lots of plants, also your ph will go down...

njoy:

CO2 is for plant growth... not for controlling pH.  In most tanks, injecting CO2 will only drop it by a max of 0.4 pH, so it's still gonna be a high pH tank.

And murgus your right not to fight with you pH... work with it!  Trying to make your water something it is not will simply result in a lot of frustration and hassle.

kennyman

Vallisneria loves high ph water. It would give you some hight behind that piece of driftwood :)

Toss

That sword will grow out of the water in 3 months or so, just to warn you. Unless you can keep the root small. I would add flora or fauna that have a warmer colour (yellow, orange, red) to complement the plants and turquoise rainbow. The mopani will help a bit. Have fun

Enrico
75 gal - Mosquito rasbora, Bushynose pleco, RCS
9 gal - CRS
40 gal - Longfin Albino Bushynose pleco, RCS

murgus

Quote from: "kennyman"Vallisneria loves high ph water. It would give you some hight behind that piece of driftwood :)
Thanks for pointing me towards Vallisneria - it looks perfect for that corner - does anyone know where I can find some?

Thanks,
murgus

BigDaddy

I'll be bringing some corkscrew val to the auction this month.

blueturq

Very nice tank! :D

A piece of driftwood would look very nice in there (as suggested before).

murgus

After a trip to rockgarden's plant shop - I have some more greenery! (and a couple of bronze corys :roll:)  A couple of vals, some pennywort and not sure what the floating on is...

Still looking for that perfect piece of driftwood..

Thanks,
murgus