Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

What fish do you want to see?

Started by Mettle, September 30, 2005, 06:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdx

Maybe it's just me, I would love to see more rare Central and South American Cichlids, especially large ones. Was looking for Jaguar, Dovii and Festea cichlids for a few years, I finally got them from TO. Almost all of my CA and SA are from Toronto and Montreal, in Ottawa, all you can get are common Green terrors, Oscar, Jack Dempseys and Convicts etc.

I don't know why CA and SA cichlids are not so popular in Ottawa, I remember a few years ago, BA at Innes got a tank full of pure bred A. Trimac, it took them almost a year to get rid of them, I saw lots of them dying in the store because nobody want them, and you don't see such thing in their African cichlid tanks.

PaleoFishGirl

Am I reading your signature right, jdx? You have a 1080 gallon cichlid tank???

jdx

Yes, PaleoFishGirl, you got it right, when I clean it I use household mop.

murgus

Do you have any pictures?  Sounds cool  8)

Thanks,
murgus

Julie

Pictures would be nice.  Do you need a chocolate cichlid for your collection?  He's picking on my Oscars.

Julie

jdx

I have a 7" Chocolate Cichlid in the tank already.

See a thread in www.waterwolves.com, it has pictures and whole building procedure, only half of fish can be seen though.
http://forums.waterwolves.com/index.php?showtopic=90909&hl=
It is now much more crowded, I have just added 9 juvi Wolf Cichlids (Parachromis Dovii) in, when I get a pair, I will get rid all the other Wolf cichlids:

Aiglos

You need to have an OVAS tour to see that baby.. im in love

Julie

Meniscus

Quote from: "jdx"Maybe it's just me, I would love to see more rare Central and South American Cichlids, especially large ones. ... in Ottawa, all you can get are common Green terrors, Oscar, Jack Dempseys and Convicts etc.

I agree with this 100%. It's all about the large SA/CA cichlids. They are tons of fun. I am always disappointed at the lack of these fish around here. In fact, my large Texas is the only large Texas that I have ever seen for sale in ottawa. He is about a foot now, but was about 8" when I got him.

Edit... Forgot to mention. INCREDIBLE looking tank. Awesome fish you have in there. VERY impressive indeed. That is my kind of dream setup.