Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Blue Rams

Started by Julie, October 04, 2005, 07:21:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julie

I saw some the other day and their colours were showing very nicely.  I have a few questions:

1. Can they be community fish?  
2. What are indicators of inbreeding
3. How many can be kept in one tank?
4. Nitrates?

Julie

mseguin

The problem with inbreeding is that it can be completely invisible. Usually, one would hope the breeder culls out obvious things such as deformities. But a lot of times it can be immune problems, or chemical pathways, or other things that physiological in nature and that you cannot tell from looking at the fish.

Julie

So it's trial and error, the ones that almost die immediately in a fully healthy tank are definitely weak.

Julie

mseguin

Or hormonally enhanced, or overcrowded at the breeders, etc. But yes its generally somewhat of a crapshoot, other than looking for general illness symptoms at th LFS.

BigDaddy

Other than that....

Yes they can be put in a comunity tank.
A pair to two square feet of tank space (without competing fish, rams tend to hang mid to lower most of the time)
Good water quality (rams do very well in discus tanks).

Big colourful males at an early age are usually hormone injected.

zapisto

Quote from: "BigDaddy"
Big colourful males at an early age are usually hormone injected.
most of the time yes
but i see some gorgious wild specimen who have nothing to hide in coparaison with the breed one.
amazing
i want only wild now :)

mseguin

Definitely, if u can get wild fish, then go for it, they're much less likely to be inbred, and very likely more hardy.