Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

SAE Q's

Started by jgolden, October 03, 2005, 04:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgolden

Never had one, nor has anyone else I've known prior to OVAS. Was thinking about getting 2-3 for some algae control in the community tank. Started reading about them, and saw conflicting info regarding whether you can stick them in a community tank or not. I was thinking of getting small ones (~1"), so they'll grow in the community. Technically, the most aggressive fish currently in the tank are the 3 clown loaches, but they virtually stay in the caves I built (The smallest one ventures outside the caves in full light for short periods; I've seen the other two out of the caves when the moonlights are on).

:? Any comments? Should SAEs be safe with tetras, swords, guppies, etc? What about American flg fish? (These are my secondary choice for algae control).

Thanks all.

J

blueturq

SAE's should be perfectly fine with the mix of fish you have in the 75 gallon! :D

CAE's (Chinese Algae Eaters) are the ones you need to watch out for.

tetroid

I picked up three juvenile SAEs a few days ago at Big Al's on Innes Road. Together with a bristlenose, they cleaned and polished my whole tank in about 36 hours. It had been covered in hair algae and green fuzz algae, as I'd been doing a fishless cycle for about a month. Two of the SAEs spar with each other a bit, but for all that they are constantly together. The third will school with them now and then, but mostly stays by himself.

There are a fair number of reports on the Internet from people who have had trouble with aggressive SAEs, but I would take them with a grain of a salt, since a number of aggressive fish - particularly the aforementioned CAEs, but also flying foxes - are sold as SAEs. True SAEs shouldn't be a problem.

Toss

True. Jeff, you should be okay with 3-4 of the real SAE. Try to get them in the same size. They like to pick on the smaller one in the school. Caution for American Flagfish. It is a hit or miss situation (they can be aggressive or even eat your plants).

Regards
Enrico
75 gal - Mosquito rasbora, Bushynose pleco, RCS
9 gal - CRS
40 gal - Longfin Albino Bushynose pleco, RCS

Nelson

I have five 3-4" SAE's that share a 120 with eleven Discus and seven Clown Loaches and have never witnessed any aggression.  Great community fish and outstanding cleaners :)

discusFans

i've 1 SAE in my 75G with some discus and they live fine together. in fact, i got 2 ottos and the SAE always follows them. I guess he feel he is part of them :>

jgolden

Thanks all. Guess the conflicts I've been hearing about are the ones being called SAEs, but aren't. I'll plan to pick some up tomorrow then.

So, to recap: Stay away from CAEs for the community; American flagfish can be hit and miss for community compatibility; SAEs are community friendly. Gotcha. :wink:

Thanks again

j