Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

breeding neon tetras

Started by pnmdsz6, September 26, 2005, 11:11:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pnmdsz6

hey everyone...
wow i havent been on this site in a long time!
anyway,
ok as some of you may remember from my first post i didnt know a whole lot about fish, thanks to ovas (...and google) i've learned quite a bit, what i've discovered about myself over the time i've been with you guys, is that i take more of an interest in breeding fish rather than community tanks.
so far i've succesfully bred betta's and i think i'll do it once more before moving on to something else. yesterday i was looking into other things i can breed i wanted to try neon tetras, however i  quickly changed my mind, deciding that would be too much of a chalenge for now. so just out of curiosity is there anyone here who has bred them, or tried to. if so i'd like to hear your stories.

pnmdsz6

p.s.#1: i cant go to the auction tonight because i'm sick and i was looking forward to it. :(

p.s.#2: can any of you think of what that little pleco is called, i've been racking my brain trying to figure it out for almost an hour, it's aprox. 1-2 cm's long.

BigDaddy

Ron has bred cardinals... I think a tad more difficult than neons (I could be wrong though... I've never bred either).

Aiglos

Ron has bred cardinals ? that is amazing.

Id love to hear how he did that;  I have not found nothing on the net except they are near impossible to breed.  Very cool.  

Until this post I had the understanding that cardinals were only availible in the wild.  That is great, you learn something new everyday.

Best of luck in breeding your neons

mseguin

Ron has bred quite a few fish from my what I've heard.

PNA

I thought neons were impossible to breed, but that cardinals were difficult.  They need the right water conditions and need to be left in the dark for a few days.

Ron

BigDaddy is right; neons seemed a lot easier to breed and raise than the cardinals (which took me more tries than I'd like to admit), though the spawns I had with neons were smaller.

Neither one is an easy fish to breed if you haven't had some experience with characins. For a first try, I'd suggest black tetras, beckford's pencil fish, bloodfin, black phantom or glowlight tetras.

If you are interested, I described the process I went through in spawning the cardinals in a post early last year. You can follow the same procedure for neons, though they don't seem to be as sensitive to light, and I used java moss as a spawning medium and didn't go through the trouble of sterilizing everything.

Let us know how you make out,    Ron

P.S. The cardinals are still very happy, schooling about in a 100 gallon planted display with relatively hard water, but I've seen no evidence of them spawning there.

NjOyRiD

I'd like to know the process as well, I have Black Widow and Bleeding Hearts
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

Ron

If you do a search of the board here by author (Ron) or title (spawning cardinal tetras), you should be able to find the original post from April of 2004 where I described the process that eventually worked for me.

HTH, Ron

NjOyRiD

is it almsot the same thing for all the tetras?!
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO