Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Red Claw

Started by kennyman, October 09, 2005, 04:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kennyman

Does anyone have exp with Red Claw Crabs? I am thinking of including them in my Indonesian Biotype tank.
Also have any of you seen them in the Ottawa area? I'm woried I wont be able to fill my stocking list localy.

Stocking list:
7 Chanda lala (subs; 2 Orange Chromide)
4 Bumblebee Gobies (Have)
3 Halfbeaks  (subs; )
1 Red claw crab(Sub Eurohaline shrimp)

jaracas

i think the pet store near Zellers has them Ken, he has some crabs, just not sure which species, i'll check on Tuesday for you

kennyman

cool thanks Steve!

I was going with the redclaw because of the brackish thing and the biotype thing.

jaracas

well, i know they definitely have fiddler crabs, again brackish but they need land too.
i'm also going up to the mall and i think they had a 'red-claw' label on a tank, so i'll check there too

kennyman

looks to be it. Here is the page I had found to learn a bit about it. http://wrongcrowd.com/staticpages/index.php?page=crab
I wonder if its right to keep these things in water with just a stick and some plants to climb up on though. I was doing some more reading about the natural habitat tonight and they live on the mud flats. I am now woried, not only about it eating my gobys, but about not providing it with terestrial mud.

The cube shape tank I bought does not lend iteslf to a muddy platform and thats why I droped the mudskipper from my stocking list. This tank is proving to be rather hard to stock :/

Toss

My suggestion, drop the red claw crap. You won't be happy. You can probably exchange it with some shrimp or snail. Pearl, blue, yellow gourami are some other suggestion. I don't know which part of Indonesia you want to imitate, but I came from the island of java and most species of crap from there live in the mud. they dig a network of tunnel in the mud to breed. We call most of them with one name,"yuyu". It doesn't taste as good as the SW crap and they are small in size. You need many of them to fill your apetite. Sorry, a bit off topic.
75 gal - Mosquito rasbora, Bushynose pleco, RCS
9 gal - CRS
40 gal - Longfin Albino Bushynose pleco, RCS

Toss

Here is a species you can try to find, Anabas Testudineus, we call them "betik". They live in the mud and can stay two days out of water (no worries of cycling your tank). I had problem killing this fish to clean its scale. It still able to swim after I clean its stomach  :evil:
75 gal - Mosquito rasbora, Bushynose pleco, RCS
9 gal - CRS
40 gal - Longfin Albino Bushynose pleco, RCS

mseguin

We actually have one of those at BA Innes, that climbing perch ahs been around forever. Please, take it off our hands :-)

kennyman

I have concidered the climbing perch. Its another Eurohaline fish species from what I rember. But "An aggressive species that should only be combined with other large, robust species. Smaller fish will serve as prey to this interesting fish." Kinda puts it off the list  :cry:

Thanks for the input Toss. If I read you corectly you come from that region of the world. I appreciate any advice you want to give. The biome I was lookng at would be a stream feeding into a mangrove swamp or the inland side of a mangrove swamp. I dont have room to do the mut flat bank so I was trying to redo the areas farther back that had a more consistant water level. I was going to keep the slainity between 1/4 to 1/8 that of seawater.

Here is the page I have been using to try and learn about that special little part of our world. http://habitatnews.nus.edu.sg/guidebooks/