Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Blue Ramshorns Snails - Announcement - I got them!

Started by HappyGuppy, May 13, 2011, 01:53:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HappyGuppy

Hey folks,

I have lately noticed some interest in the two things I had been trying for years to get myself, blue ramshorn snails, and yellow shrimp.  Somehow yellow shrimp have made the local scene and I guess I'll pick some up from someone sooner or later.  But I have made a huge attempt, with numerous difficulties to get blue ramshorns snails, and have finally succeeded!  Yeah!  Unfortunately most died in transit, but I have a few survivors which are now being well taken care of. 

So this is an announcement since I've noticed people want some that they are now here in Ottawa Canada.  If anyone else happens to find some in Canada please let me know as I'm curious if anyone else succeeded to getting some.  But anyhow, I am now feeding them generously to encourage breeding, and perhaps as soon as September I may be ready to start letting others enjoy them too.

So friends, have a little patience.  It won't be long until you can enjoy these blueberries for yourself :)

Janny

Yay!!!

I am cycling a tank for yellow shrimp and hope to pick some up later this month.

A yellow shrimp tank with blue ramshorns.

:)

HappyGuppy

Quote from: Janny on May 13, 2011, 04:33:03 PM

A yellow shrimp tank with blue ramshorns.

:)

Great minds think alike :)

I've been envisioning a small tank with dark gray substrate, nicely aquascaped with some choice plants, crawling with bananas and blueberries.  If I'm thinking it, and obviously Janny is too, then I'm sure others will be enjoying such tanks too (I know many already are with cherries & rubies).  It won't be long before that vision becomes a reality.  I've been wanting the yellow shrimp for a while too for a while.  I think that this summer I'm going to try to get some as I know that some folks in town are now breeding them - hopefully they'll take plants for trades.

HappyGuppy

Hey folks,
Some time ago I posted this:
http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=49294.0
Offering red ramshorn snails for free as my gift to fellow hobbyists.

Well thanks to the kindness of a guy in the US (thanks Mike!) who helped me to finally get these *blue* ramshorns snails (after a very long time wanting them, and trying many attempts to get some) I have decided to continue the generosity and thus have decided that I shall make these blue ramshorns available to local ovas members for free.  Of course it will be several months before I'm ready to share some, and I probably will be very restrictive on quantity (I think a breeding pair) at least until the population gets to plague proportions.

So to those of you with whom I discussed these snails before, and to those of you who independently expressed a desire to get some, well, you won't have to wait too much longer.

HappyGuppy

Just had a thought...
Post here to express your interest so I can get a sense of how many snails I need to breed to make everyone happy.

Shawn84

I`m interested in some :) red and blue my fav colour :) just one quick question. If you keep red and blue together in one tank. do they cross breed.
A bunch a fishes.....
A bunch a tanks...........

Shawn84

A bunch a fishes.....

Feivel

im down for some purple snails :) woot woot

i would take a couple blues.

cheers
Seb

HappyGuppy

LOL.  I'm sure you guys know the truth but I'll just say this for the few new people who might actually believe what was said.  Genetics doesn't work like paints, so I doubt purple would be the result (though that would be cool for sure).  I suspect that like cherry shrimp and other things that the snails would revert to a brown F1, with 25% colors in F2.

Ok, let me refine my offer.  A breeding pair of blueberry ramshorns to those who will keep them in a tank with zero other ramshorns.  Let the population of blues grow to share more in Ottawa.

Janny

You already know I am interested! :) I will keep them seperated and share the offspring too.

Feivel

+1

lol the thought of purple would be cool tho :)
I would be up for some blue snails. and will uphold the free snail deal also.

can i mix them with mystery snails? ... i think they are mystery snails anyhoo i got like 100 of them in my fry tank. they do not seem to be reproducing like crazy like they were 4-6 months ago. havent noticed any new babies.

ThomasLynn

Yes, to make sure... Brown would definately be the result, with a couple blues or reds mixed in with the batch... and yes, I'd like some of your blue or red if available!

HappyGuppy

Yes, keeping them with mystery snails is perfectly fine.  The only two kinds of snails they should not be kept with are other ramshorns (breaks genetics) and assassin snails ;)  Probably don't want to keep them with snail eating fish either.

Of course it will be a slow process of breeding, distributing a precious few, and distributing some more until Ottawa is saturated with them.  I would imagine that by 2012 they'll find their grandchildren scattered all across Canada (assuming we'll all be around in 2012 - LOL, but keeping fingers crossed).

Some months ago I spoke with another member that some people try to make $$$ selling fish & all from our hobby.  Currently these snails sell for relatively big bucks in the USA, and I'm sure that in Canada one could easily sell them for a pretty penny too.   Personally I see nothing wrong with it, however I would like to see these precious snails be passed around with the true spirit of sharing among hobbyists.

Shawn84

I would dedicate a special tank for them. If anything they will be kept in with a pleco only tank. Sharing is caring :D
A bunch a fishes.....

HappyGuppy

@ Thomas - PM sent for you to come by to get some reds.  Enjoy.

@ Shawn - That's wonderful!  Hope you'll enjoy them too.

Shawn84

:) Just another excuses to get another tank. hehehe
A bunch a fishes.....

Nerine

55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts