Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Shutting down 110 gallon tank

Started by cemantic, May 10, 2011, 04:14:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cemantic

We are planning to redo the basement.  We have our 110 gallon 48" x 18" x 30" aquarium in the basement that will have to be at the least moved and probably shut down for awhile possbly sold off.  It is a planted aquarium with a CO2 system which really needs to be redone.

My question is does anyone have any opinions on how to gently get rid of the plants etc. to get at the fish so they can be removed.  I'm thinking there is no real gentle way of doing this.

There are two mature bushynose plecos, a female and a male that tend to breed once every couple of months.  There is five clown loaches that eat the plecos eggs once they breed.  There is then five to seven black phantoms that have also breed a couple of times but it seems like only one survived each time.

Any suggestions?

androo303

I can take some easy plantable plants!  ::) :P ;D And the CO2 system if it is a good price!  :)

Nerine

just uproot as if you'd uproot your garden plants :) depending on how fast you need the tank down, plants are happy to live in a bucket with some light :) fish too as long as they have filtration! if you don't want to sell off the livestock, you can just get some large rubbermaids and put your filtration on them and instant temporary fish tanks :)

when we moved, our tanks were down for over a week and the fish and plants just stayed in buckets and were just fine when put them back in
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

cemantic

Makes sense.  No gentle way of doing this.  Rubbermate tubs are cheap.