New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Do MTS eat eggs?

Started by HappyGuppy, June 04, 2011, 11:35:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HappyGuppy

I googled around but didn't find any good posts about this subject.  Do MTS snails eat fish eggs?  Could MTS be kept as a clean up crew in a breeding tank?

sas

Not sure about MTS but asolene spixis are great for a fry tank. I have heard that they eat planaria? Personally
haven't seen this but eyesight isn't the best and well they look beautiful with their stripes.
I keep them in my fry tanks and they seem to do well.

edited for grammar

HappyGuppy

Thank you for your suggested other snail.  Perhaps I should elaborate that it will be for a brackish tank and MTS would be perfect for the tank IF they don't eat eggs.

Does anyone breed any egglayers with MTS in their tanks?

Laura

I wouldn't keep snails with eggs or fry that were not free-swimming. I saw pond snails eating cory eggs that were getting ready to hatch, and would suspect that most snails would eat eggs or fry that didn't swim away from them.

An adult snail with free swimming fry is a good idea though. They eat all the extra food so it keeps the water in better condition. Not sure what would be best for a brackish tank. I've never seen nerites scavenge so don't know if they would be much help.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

dan2x38

Snails eat whatever doesn't move and they can attach too. Their rough tongues chow down. I've scene them on eggs in my breeder tanks so always tired my best to keep any out. Even scene cherry shrimp picking away at fish eggs.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."