New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Leporinus Fasciatus experiences anyone??

Started by dark_rain, June 09, 2011, 09:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dark_rain

Anyone have experience with these fish? From what I can find online, they can be a bit aggressive and can be fin-nippers. I know their size and everything else..but I guess I'm just looking for other peoples' experience with these fish. I have one in my tank, and I think it's guilty of almost eatting my rainbow shark. His top fin almost all gone, and I can see a couple bite marks on his tail fins. But the Leporinus' mouth seems to be rather small..so I doubted he could do much damage. I also might be missing an Upsidedown Catfish too. Begining to wonder if he got eatten. lol. So like I said, if anyone has/had these fish, let me know your experience with them. Thanks :)
90 Gallon low-tech planted tank (Anubias, Java Ferns, Crypts)

55 Gallon planted starting from scratch w/ Eco-Complete

lepageg

I have kept them at various times.  Yes they can be knippers and are pretty tought, good tankmates with SA cichlids or silver dollars.  I prefer to keep more than one (3 worked well for me) that way they spend more time chasing each other and leave the other fish alone.  There growth will depend on yes the size of the tank but on your water condition and feeding.  They are vegetarian, you can give then romaine lettuce and that will also keep them occupied. Mine grew from 2+ inch babies to 8 inches in less than a year.  They are very active, females will bet bigger the males will be smaller but more aggressive.

Best of luck.