New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

All the fish food fell into the tank

Started by tim_s, June 11, 2011, 10:21:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tim_s

So I will admit I did something stupid.

My girlfriend likes to open the top of the fish food and pinch the food into the tank and I sometimes speed through it and just shake it in.

Well .. the girlfriend never screwed the lid on and I essentially throw an entire 62 g tetra min tropical flakes into my 90 gallon tank.

I just *literally* just completed a large water change.

I figure I should wait a day at least and do another large water change in the hopes that the ammonia levels will not be too high to kill the fish (just guppies at the moment) and it is a long enough wait that it won't restart the tank.

magnosis

Just add like 100 more fish ;D   I'm kidding obviously.

I would do a series of smaller water changes and regularly vacuum whatever accumulates at the bottom, maybe like 10% twice a day ? Unless all the food has dissolved already, in which case a bigger wc, but again, vacuuming wouldn't hurt.  Don't feed again for a few more days, keep on top of your water params

Fishnut

OMG...lol!  Sorry...I think we've all done that at least once :)

I agree with the smaller water changes.  Don't vacume the gravel, just let the siphon just suck out the flakes collecting at the bottom.

You also might want to be prepared to rinse your filter media a few times while it also sucks out some of the un-eaten food.

Just start testing your water parameters to monitor them properly.