Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Algea, Algea, Algea

Started by AQUAFREAK, October 11, 2005, 12:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AQUAFREAK

I need help to identify this Algea problem.  It can be best described as brownish in color, and is all over my plants.  My water is hard
KH is 110 to 120 PPM, GH is 60 to 80, PH is somewhere around 7.5 to 7.7, nitrates are basically 0

If I knock the plants a little it falls off very easy, but comes right back after a day,  Secondary observation water seems to be cloudy in the morning when the lights are turned on, but clears up after a couple of hours.

Doing regular water changes 50 % every week to week & half.

Lights are 4x 27w spirals compact fluorescents for 44 gallon tank tall 32" high.  Lights are on from 8 to 9 at night.

I am adding CO2 DIY coke bottle method.  Bubble going through my fluval 304.  

Plants are thriving but this brown stuff is UGLY.  As for fertilizing I am still learning this stuff and I am sure I am only doessing Micro and no macro.  So I am not sure what I need.

Fish and shrimps look very healthy, feeding once daily and they don't seem to be leaving to much behind.  

This brown algea is also clinging to the walls and filter tubes. But not so much the driftwood.

Help please clean me up.
:cry:  :cry:  :cry:

kennyman

This tank just finish cycling? Sounds like Diatoms to me which are a problem untill the excess silica has been consumed. If it is diatoms its all part of the breakin process to maturing a tank.