Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Summer storms!

Started by Nerine, June 29, 2011, 07:55:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nerine

did anyone else get the crazy weather???

We lost several trees, had a tree land on the car, which saved the roof and the van (it landed on the roof of the house too) the car took most of the weight of the tree, whew!

Lost a HUGE tree, ripped out of the ground like someone pulled a twig up...roots and all!! now we have a big hole in the yard!!
Trees were tossed about like sticks, some are bent in weird ways, and we spent the day (since about 7am) cleaning up!!
Our power went out last night around 8pm and wasn't on till today at 2pm! Sooooooooooooooooo tired!!!!

But one super cool thing was after the wicked weather (which everyone grabbed shoes, cash and keys and the tot and were poised to bolt) the sky was so very clear for a little while, we went outside and watched the lightning in the distance and the field across the street was full of fire flies :) it was awesome! and then this morning it was UGH haha picking up all the debris around the yard and pulling trees off the roof, fences, car, etc!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

washefuzzy

That's terrible. Is the car now scrap metal? Glad nobody was sitting in the car.
I had a meeting I was suppose to go out to Tuesday night but the weather forecast scared me enough so I stayed home but we didn't get the wild weather where we were located.

Hookup

yeah... that was some crazy storms... not last night, or was it, maybe it was... Tuesday night for me... we lost power a few times on the recent storms but no damaged like you're seeing... Insurance might replace a lot but it does not give you back wasted time, energy and heartache...

az

big hole ha, salt water POND?
AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

Nerine

cars are all in working order!! a little squished but other than that ok :) and the car saved the roof from damage, so we're all good whew!!

haha Az!!! it's in such a weird place ;) a pond wouldn't work there hehehe we've already filled in most of the whole! spent the past few days picking up debris, and there's still a LOT out there!!!! neighbours keep slowing down and pointing :P feel like saying get out of the car and help!! :P
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats

magnosis

In my neighborhood (Cantley south) many roads have collapsed, a bunch of neighbours lost their driveways, it was pretty insane.

The night of Thursday June 23rd was the craziest.   Over 100 mm of rain in about 3 hours.

This picture was taken in an area about 10 minutes from my place:
http://www.meteomedia.com/votre_meteo/details/998/4515667/4/hits/604800?ref=ugc_mostviewed_thumbs

These pictures are from my neighborhood.  This is right at the limit between Gatineau and Cantley.
http://www.radio-canada.ca/regions/ottawa/2011/06/24/001-rue-effondree-gatineau.shtml

There are a few pics from Rue Massicote.  My friend lives there. I picked him up when the storm just started, we went to Ottawa, came back an hour and half later to this.  Our jaws were dropped.  What the hell had happened !  Luckily we could make it to his house.  A few hours later we couldn't.

As for myself, I'm built in the middle of a hill (the back of the house has 1 story above ground, the front has 2).  The yard drains very very well and we didn't see any damage, while our neighbor across the street was heavily flooded.

Nerine

crrazy!! it's amazing how much damage was done in such a short time!!