Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

decking

Started by magnosis, July 25, 2011, 11:26:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magnosis

I'm building a deck and wondering what's a good store to get the lumber ? (gatineau side if possible)

I'm mostly concerned with the decking lumber more than the structure.  The decking will be 42 x 2x6 x 16', pressure treated.  I'm a little worried I'll have a hard time finding 42 pieces of straight, good looking 16' planks....

So, what's your favorite place to get lumber ?  #1 I want quality. #2 I want a decent price.
Rona ?
Reno-Depot ?
Home-Depot ?
Bonhomme ?
Pilon ?
Lowes ?
Other independant store ?

Greatwhite

I have always liked the quality of Lowes lumber over Home Depot...  I find that Home depot stuff is always wet, warped, and sticky.  I think Lowes prices are slightly higher (few cents), but it's not enough to make me buy inferior quality lumber.

I suspect prices at real lumber yards would be better, and quality is probably even better - but I haven't dealt with any personally.

Nerine

real lumber yard!

we get tiny bits of lumber from the others...but for large amounts or really nice stuff, we go to a lumber yard :)
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

magnosis

Thanks !

Any amount of driving > crooked, wet, sub-par lumber...  Once the deck is built, it's too late to decide on driving further or paying a few bucks more.

Greatwhite

Be sure to put the decking down, right-side-up. :)  My deck was built by some chump about 10 years ago (it may be newer - I've been here 6 years) and because over 1/2 of the boards are upside-down, I have a lot of rotting going on.  I'll have to completely resurface my deck next spring as a result. :(

Also treat the bottoms of the planks with a good sealer...  Oil based stain will repel water better than water based too.

But I'm sure you knew all this. ;)