Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

House Hold Pets

Started by JetJumper, October 19, 2010, 11:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greatwhite

Here's a video of me and my pack dealing with a muskrat situation in the back yard last march..   The Beagle is Abby, 8 years old today! The Lab is Bear, who is 7.  Awesome dogs, complete opposite personalities of their breeds.  Abby almost never barks, and doesn't ignore us to follow her nose.  Bear is not "insane" like every other chocolate lab I've known.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45pFbW52B8A

Here is the end of the muskrat problem...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GirCyd2OaFw

I couldn't bring myself to throwing it onto Orleans Blvd over the fence into traffic.  There's a sidewalk and 6 feet of grass there... I suspect someone got a little surprise, though! :)

drboeing

I only watched the first few seconds, as I diddnt want to see what I can only assume would be a bad ending.  I have a thing for all things 4 legged and furry.  Your dogs are beautiful, and awfully well mannered by not going after the "prey" (tho I diddnt stay to the end)  :)

I met up with a muskrat on Campeau Drive in Kanata a year ago, went to herd it off the busy road thinking it was a baby beaver, quickly learned it was a muskrat, and he was MEAN!  I was very thankful I was wearing jeans as it was super agressive and all I could do to get back to my car and away from the devil.  Sneaky thing hid under my car after I got away from it, all I could think was that it was likely eating my tires or brakes!

NanoSF

Haha that's is exactly what I thought. I stuck it out to the end though and it ends well. Dogs listened well, and animal is still alive....well as far as we know. Once on the other side of the fence it's anyone guess.

Greatwhite

Oh, no harm came to any animal as far as I know.  I am not responsible for where it went after I "gently" released it over the back fence though.  In fact, had you stuck through the first video - you'd have seen that I came to more harm than that stupid animal! :)

I don't know what was up with that muskrat.  Any animal in my yard with ANY sense whatsoever gets the heck away from my dogs.  They work like a little pack and distract and herd small woodland creatures to each other, usually.  This thing just hopped around like an idiot, and seemed to want to play with us!  (and my dogs were more than happy to play with their new friend)

Oh, and up until about 10 feet away from it, when I was able to see how mangled its face was - it was actually kind of cute.  The fur looked pretty soft, too - though I couldn't feel it through my heavy leather gloves :)

Thunda

It's really nice to see all the pets people have.  I have to agree that people miss out on a very important part of their lives when not having a pet.

magnosis

62 Canadian Horses
46 Cats
3 dogs

oh wait, farm animals don't count ;-)

washefuzzy

So lucky to have all those horses. They are such beautiful animals.

cora

Hmm I suppose I can add my collection to the list..

4 kitties: Orca, Tau, Aries and Mars
1 Bunny: Moof
1 Chinese softshell turtle: Bob
1 Senagel Parrot: Maggie
6 leopard geckos
5 cornsnakes
2 hamsters
1 dwarf hamster
2x 10g fw
25g fw
2x betta

I wont even mention what I have had in the past ;)