Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Sump Advice for a Newbie - Best baffle configuration??

Started by Joe, August 08, 2011, 08:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Hi. I'm looking to setup a sump under my 46gal tank. I realize 46g is pretty small, but from what I've read I'll still benefit greatly from introducing a sump. After all my reading & youtubing I still can't figure out which baffle configuration is best. (I see there are MANY different designs out there) Is there an "industry accepted" best baffle configuration?

Also, if anyone can recommend good articles/sites/videos I'd greatly appreciate it!

My setup: a good hanging skimmer, ~40lbs of live rock, three decent sized leather corals, three small fish, two cleaner shrimps + a dozen crabs/snails.

Thanks for your help.
Joe

Thunda

I think a sump if one has the room for it is a great addition to any tank.  I even put a 30g sump under my 30g tank :)  Basically gives me 50+g then to work with and takes alot of the ~Stuff~ out of the main tank.  (skimmer, heater) End up with that much more space for cool stuff in the main tank.  I personally think that most of the set ups are going to work out well there are just different designs to accomplish the same goal.  Bubble traps are nice feature too in the sumps.  There are a few pictures in our gallery of our 2 salt water tanks. 

Joe