New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

My night job.. err... Twice a year job...

Started by Greatwhite, November 12, 2011, 11:26:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greatwhite

As if having kids wasn't rewarding enough, I chose when my first daughter turned one to NEVER buy a cake from a store.  So my wife baked one, and I decorated it.  That cake was -- "acceptable" for a first birthday.  The result was a messy kid, which is all you NEED out of a first bday cake.  However, since that birthday, I've tried to improve upon my cakes every year.

I now have 2 kids.. One is having her 4th birthday party tomorrow, and the other turns 2 on Dec 14...  It's now time to start planning kiddo number 2's cake. :)

Greatwhite

This year's "Rapunzel Tower" cake was actually alot easier than the past ones... The animal cake took me about 4hrs per little animal.  I LITERALLY spent the whole week leading up to the birthday party elbow deep in fondant icing.

The tower this year is made of rice krispy treat stuff... wrapped in fondant.. The roof is a waffle cone and a waffle bowl, coated in purple chocolate.  I just want to eat the tower, myself. :)

salvini55

washefuzzy

Amazing cakes. They look to good to eat them.

sas

RedFish

Awesome cakes!   Great imagination and nicely done!

Greatwhite

They have all tasted as good as they've looked - although my wife cheats and uses cake mixes. I like to let her feel useful, so I let her bake them.

And - I always cringe when the knife hits them the first time.... :)

RedFish

We use cake mixes too for large kid gatherings, there is usually so much wasted cake that I don't want to spend the effort on a 'scratch' cake.

Here is my helpful hint - when you make the cake from a mix, use bottled applesauce instead of the oil (same quantity).   It makes a lovely moist cake, with no oil aftertaste!

sas

Great tip Redfish, would never had thought about that thanks.