Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

KHL Team's plane crashes, kills almost all on board

Started by bt, September 07, 2011, 12:25:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bt

The numbers are still shifting, but it seems to be 43 of 45 died in the crash, and one of the ones who survived has since died from his injuries.  Former Senators Pavol Demitra and Karel Rachunek are on the team's roster and presumed to have been on the plane.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/09/07/plane-carrying-russian-hockey-team-crashes-killing-44-repor/

ajm1961

That's really tragic. This is why I think NHL teams usually split the team into two groups when travelling to avoid catastrophe. In this case, obviously unbelievable that a whole team is wiped out. Pavol Demitra was a true talent - it's too bad we never got to see him blossom within the Sens organization.
Shocking...
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

bt

Pretty sure NHL teams typically travel as a single group as well, actually.

Nerine

So very sad :(

I don't think they generally fly on the same planes...the Sharks didn't used to...Even retail stores won't put all their people on the same plane when flying them places!!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

bt

I have a relative who used to be involved in the travel planning for the Senators and Habs - the entire team was generally on the same charter plane or bus.

Might be different when flying commercial though.

dan2x38

Teams most often fly together. Some teams even have their own jets.

There have been other tragedies similar to this with sports teams. It is a real sad day for sure! :(
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."